Tuesday, March 22, 2016

DENTAL ORDEAL , SAINT PATRICK'S DAY AND DONE WITH THE DENTIST UNTIL SUMMER.

       Wednesday I reluctantly awoke and was in the Dental Chair by 12:10.  The routine shots, wait, and have at it. Well the tooth was so loose by this time I could have taken it out.  She was done with that in 10 minutes...then prepping the jaw for the bone implant, packing it in and stitching it up...1:30 I left having had my mouth open for over an hour. Whew...everything went well.  So I decided to treat myself to an Oreo Cookie Mocha Smoothie and a Homemade Cinnamon roll. both were outstanding.

          On the way to the bus stop I passed by the Mariposa where I stayed on my first day in Oaxaca and there was Usi my first Mexican friend putting up decorations for Holy Week.  He took time out to give me a "Thumbs " up which made my day.

            I slept well that night with the pain killers to help.  Thursday was St Patrick's Day and I needed some soft food.   I went shopping at the local Super Market for vegetables, fruit, yogurt...and a floor fan as the weather was warming up.   Then I stopped by another dental office to see about getting an implant to replace the one I had taken out last year.  It is hard to chew with two of your "chewing" teeth missing...one on each side.  He told me I could NOT replace the one from last year because it was too close to the Sinus but the other he could do when I returned in August....for $1500!!!   He was NOT seeing me...only my money.
         It was lunch time and the Berlina Bratwurst was on my mind.  Gabriel, the owner was all alone .  We saw each other two nights ago at the Final Restaurant tasting.  
         The Bratwurst and Beer were fantastic.  I was lamenting the fact that it was St Patrick's Day but I saw nothing of any celebratory events mark the occasion.  Gabriel took me outside and pointed to the second floor of the Santa Domingo Plaza and McCarthy's Irish Pub.  I hurried over for my Guinness fix and some good cheer with a few Irishmen. 

      Twas a shameful St Pat's Party if I ever did see one.  No Irish Music, fake Irish costumes,
and no Irishmen.


 .....and NO DRAFT GUINNESS...a sorry excuse for a "PINT'...top it off with NO Cornbeef or Cabbage.  Did find one Happy Mexican Leprechaun tending bar.
           I bought some Take Out Rotisserie

Chicken and Macaroni Salad for dinner and returned home.
          Friday was Dominoes with 6 of us having Breakfast first then playing for 3 hours only to place third but good fun!  My dentist emailed me to come in on Monday, a day early  to remove the stitches...then I can start planning what to bring to our Pot Luck Easter dinner in Teotitlan de Valle.  Again another good nights sleep.

          Today I'm off for dinner at Luna y Sol and a Symphony at the Opera House after.
         I encountered part of the Holy Week Celebration.  





THE SPRING KINGS



         Then stopped at the Pablo Cultural Center to view a new exhibition.  

SIENNA ITALIA







     Someone new moving in where Burger King when under.

SURE IT WILL BE MORE INTERESTING THAN BURGERS

       Then went to my Cafe Barrista to kill some time before Luna y Sol opened for dinner at 7 pm. I had the French Press coffee and a Galleta served on a STONE...never in USA...little touches I love.   

          I still had a few minutes to browse the neighborhood.  This was the most familiar area in the city, next to Colonial La Noria where I live, but each year brings change.  This Cafe was new so I heard about Art y Chocolate Gallery which was another new place.  I stopped in out of curiosity and discovered some wonderful paintings , sketches, watercolors by the owner as well as a mix of ceramic art , T-Shirts, and CHOCOLATE...it was displayed in a nice case at eye level and I thought the candies were fake at first...just another art creation.  They were art but real Chocolate and the best ever in Oaxaca.  Very much like my favorite at Tres Bistro but all different sizes, shapes, and colors.  I almost bought them out after having a sample but controlled myself and vowed to return soon. 




        Luna y Sol was 5 minutes from opening but after persistent pestering I got the bartender to allow me to wait inside.  I had the place to myself and ordered ASAP so I could make the concert.  The Pizza was great and the second I've had since I arrived 4 months ago.

        I arrived at the free concert 5 minutes too late.  Some people were allowed in but they had gotten their tickets in advance....even though it was free they still required a ticket but the booth was shut down along with me.  I went home and watched Russel Crowe in  A Beautiful Mind...the story of John Nash an amazing Princeton professor that had Schizophrenia, went on to return to teaching, win a Nobel Prize and is living in N.J and still visits the campus.  Great movie !
      Palm Sunday....lazy day and no I did not go to church...  instead I ate at Tres Bistro where I watched the Palm Sunday procession from the Basilica.
DOES NOT LOOK LIKE MUCH BUT DELICIOUS




       This Monday I stopped at Mary and Bill's to take some photos of my future apartment next year...possibly!  Then on to have my stitches removed and say goodbye to my Denista. 

        I stopped to have a beer with Darcy at the Zocalo just in time to watch the Holy Monday parade.








COUNTED OVER A HUNDRED HORSES...JUST KEPT COMING..PASSING CANDY TO THE CHILDREN TOO

No comments: