Wednesday, October 28, 2015

REUNION, RESPECTS, & REMEMBRANCES

     Well I'm finally taking a couple weeks and shuffling off to Buffalo and points beyond.  I woke, packed, and was sending a payment to Funeral Consumers Alliance of Arizona. While filling out the form and the date 10/5/15....I realized it was my birthday!!!  Then I got lovely greetings from friends and family.  Nice way to start my first day as a 70 year old.  
         
       THE JOURNEY BEGINS...Well after managing to wake up at 5:17 am, my ride was waiting and I went through airport security with a wave of my Global Entry Pass and the Boarding Pass I got the day before.  No shoes off, or pulling out the computer, taking off my jacket, etc.  Worth the cost.
         I had a nice lunch at Low Country in Atlanta and now am off for Buffalo.  The Sun was shining and setting as I drove my little Mazda to Attica and checked in the Attican Motel.  Stopping along the way at My Place Bar for a Beef on Wick to go.  The crowded place was listening to live music and dining on the Wednesday night Special of Giant Beef Taco for $5.
       


 My room smelled of stale smoke and was spartan but comfortable. I headed for the Attica Hotel for a Southern Comfort Manhattan to wash it down my Beef on Wick.  Sheila LaVarnway was sitting at the end of the bar so I joined her.  She said Jamo, who lived across from my Mom's old house on Putnam Place, started planting Sequoia trees in Memory of deceased people he knew or that requested it.  It was something he wanted to do in Retirement to memorialize  loved ones and keep the air clean for years to come.  We chatted a bit before I headed to Louie's Lounge for a couple nightcaps.  Julie was tending a full bar when I took the last seat on the end.  Now I was tired and ready for bed.  I knew some people there but not by name so retired to my motel room.
       When I awoke around 9 am the Prospector Restaurant, where Mom and I used to eat was beckoning .  It was now a used car office!  What a sad first day.  The Twilight Meadows was the only place left to get a decent breakfast and I was one of two customers.  The Twilight Meadows had changed owners but still served a great Denver Omelet.   
      I left my sunglasses and hat at home as it is seldom the sun shines in Attica.  Today it was shining.  I drove out to the Cemetery after trying to research Putnam Place at the Library. I wanted to know the history of the homes but drew Zero and the Historical Society was closed.

         I paid my respects to Mom and Dad at our grave site.   It was sad. When I'm home in Scottsdale I miss them but being here in their "spiritual presence" made it difficult to hold back the tears.

        I drove out past the prison and up Hunt Boulevard to take photos of Gram ma and Grandpa's old house but it was gone...along with most of the homes except a few.  They were in bad shape so the State tore them down...it was only grass and their mailbox post.
      Then I   went to Forest Hill Cemetery to pay respects to them and my four Aunts and Uncles.





 While I was there I decided to try to locate Harvey Putnam's (person Putnam Place was named after) grave site among all of the grave site spread out over the acres.  I headed for the top of the hill, turned and almost bumped into the Putnam family grave site.


        I took photos of all then headed for Putnam Place.  I took photos of all the homes on Putnam Place and had a glass of wine with Carol Jamokowski across the street from my old family home where Bill and his wife Patty now lived. I guess they aren't too happy together but none of my business anymore.  We had a great chat and she showed me a gravestone dating back to 1830, that was found at the end of Putnam Place where the Village occasionally dump fill to extend the property a bit and fill in the swamp below.
       It was close to 5 pm and I had invited my cousin Susie and her husband to join me for a drink at the Attica Hotel where I was going to have dinner.  I arrived , had a couple beers and took an order of Buffalo Wings to go after 5:30. They never showed because they sold out and were in Arizona.   I knew no one there so headed for Louie's Lounge for one more beer.  
       Bev an old friend, Jeff the Attica Hotel cook and Sheila the Attica Hotel waitress were there.  We talked a bit and had a drink.  Bev was ready to make her last stop at the American Legion Post so I joined her.   We had a nice chat then I took my Wings back to the motel and ate them before retiring.
      Tomorrow, Friday, I will meet and stay with my daughter in Buffalo.       I have been on a roller coaster in Attica.  I visited and took photos of all the grave sites of my ancestors in both cemeteries.  The house where my grandparents lived has been torn down. Our family holidays and get togethers took place there. My cousins left in Attica for Arizona!   It started out a SAD depressing day but ended on a good note...I don't have a reason to return.
           This morning  Jennifer wrote to ask what I wanted to do this evening and "where I was staying".  I thought I was staying with her but  I ended up with a last minute weekend reservation at the Holiday Inn not far from her.
        Carol told me the Prospector Restaurant  had not closed but moved to downtown Attica. I was too late for Breakfast but had a nice lunch.  It was nice to see people walking the streets and cars parked around the downtown.  It has been a long time since I remember that.  Maybe more businesses will do the same and revitalize Attica.  I drove out through Bennington , Cowlesville and on to Buffalo until I arrived at the Holiday Inn to check in.

Prospector
Raging Tonawanda Creek


Marine Midland empty Bank Building adorned with Posters of the Attica Football Team
     
         

         
       
        

No comments: