Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Friday Trip to FDR's House


        Everyone had left for the hospital and I was left with the dog.  Everyday Jenny puts a blanket on the couch and turns the TV on to the Greatful Dead Music Channel for Boomer the Dog. She must know all their songs by now.  I would be in the way and couldn't do anything so headed for FDR's home in Hyde Park after breakfast at the Diner again.


  It was around 1:30 pm when I arrived, got my ticket and shortly after was with a large group led by our Park Ranger guide.   The Ranger had a high pitched voice and I could barely hear him but enjoyed the one hour tour before going to the FIRST Presidential library which was FDR's and located next door.

Paralyzed from the waist down..he hoisted himself up to second floor in his own elevator



FDR was born in this bed, in this room...and grew up as a child here.



  I passed by his and Eleanor's grave site first.
 

         It was around 4 pm when I decided to visit the CIA just down the road.  The Culinary Institute of America was the USA's foremost school of Culinary Arts.


 Most of my "Chef " friends had some connection to it.  They had been instructors there or graduates.   I wanted to eat there but it was so crowded and the lines so long to get in to the restaurants that I took some photos and left to return to Helen's.
         I got back around 5:30 and no one was home, a first!   It was so quiet and relaxing...then Kathy showed ...oh David , I haven't seen you in 8 years I think.  She came up to help Helen through the this ordeal.  They were neighbors in Freehold N.J.  She brought some Meatballs and Spaghetti to feed everyone when they returned from the hospital a few minutes later. Barbara had brought Meatballs and Spaghetti the night before....and David's brother brought over Meatballs and Spaghetti the next night.  It really was a nice support group with her children, sister, friends and me.
           David's operation had gone well but he had a clot that were worried about and had to stay in the hospital until Monday.    I would stop by the hospital Saturday to say hi to David before visiting Martin Van Buren's house.

No comments: