Thursday, June 15, 2023

6 - 23 GOOD MORNING OAXACA MEXICO!

 The arrival and transport, with all my baggage, went well. I started unpacking and got my jacket and carry-on briefcase done when Gaby arrived from a walk with her oldest son Nemo.  I took them to Tres Bistro in the Zocalo for dinner.


ALLIGATOR MAN...NEW MURALS

















I felt so alive returning home!

The next day I felt the need to exercise after spending 2 months driving around and sitting in front of a computer making doctor appointment. A long walk was in order.


                     Mexican hairless dog on the left!



The rain came down as I discovered a new restaurant.
Azotea on the Alcala












Rain had no effect on the Wedding Party, dancing in the street



                             10 Peso Rain Coat....50 Cents




                                   BACK HOME

The next afternoon Gabriela and I visited one of my favorite "Barcelona" Style restaurants..Casa Celia.





Soup, Salad, Fish Stew, and half eaten Poached Pear in Port with Watermelon..much better than the photo.

Another long walk to visit a gallery and pick up some Tamales from the Queen of Tamales before getting caught in another rain storm...ducked in for a hot cup of soup then arrived home and attempted a panoramic photo of Oaxaca from my terrace.


















Awoke to a gorgeous Sunrise at Dawn. Great way to start the day. That afternoon I headed into the center for lunch at the "sharing table" at Boulanc Bakery. I met a wonderful young couple from Delft Holland that took a month off to explore Latin America, while searching for a place to live.  They booked some extra days after arriving in Oaxaca, which is now their number one choice. I enjoyed a Mezcalita and Pizza. 


















Thursday is Domino Day at the library so off I went only to discover they moved the game to a private residence because of the heat on the roof?  I ran into Bill, an old friend that gave me his seat as he was leaving lunch at another new restaurant. I tried the "Comida" daily special of Aztec Soup, Baby back Pork Ribs with Rice in a superb brown sauce with Neapolitan Ice Cream desert. $7 and very good.


Two bunches of bananas ready to bloom...over the sidewalk.





I returned home while passing through Llano Park where a huge tree fell in the storm so an artist turned it into a zoo.
 






The library combines Canadian/American Independence Day into one and Celebrates both on the 4th of July in a village outside of Oaxaca...I signed up.



Gaby told me about a new restaurant that I had to try. I arrived at Aquacate and ordered a brunch special. 





Chocolate Truffle with Amaranth


Shot of Beet Juice and Fresh Ginger


Granola Breakfast Bowl with Banana


Salad Bowl with Lentils, Beets, Sprouts and a green plant leaves from Oaxaca...can't think of the name.


Mini Avocado & Beet Toast


Off to a big surprise at the Zocalo....the Teacher's Union was back in force!  Roads and Airport blockades up. Villagers being bussed in to assist.
















Beds



Bussed in Villagers register so they get paid.



You never know..but these inconveniences are nothing compared to what so many Mexicans endure daily.
     I took Gaby out to dinner in Jalatlaco where I stopped to visit Andres at his restaurant to buy 2 bottles of top grade Mezcal, and paid a visit to One in Oaxaca to see Jamie Leven the artistic creator of this eclectic store.




Salmon in Coconut Curry


Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Sauce


Gaby "Strut-ten her Stuff"

I lost 3 games of Pool the next day, so called it quits and returned to Andrea's restaurant for lunch and to browse his Art works for my house.












 

Last night we celebrated Gabriela's Birthday at Tres Bistro. Suckling Pig for me and Grilled Octopus for her. We split a Creme Brulee at the bar with Sambuca and Carlos I Brandy along with Alfredo my favorite friend and bartender.






It was a nice evening and the special surprise was ALL the tents, buses, and blockades were gone overnite as fast as they arrived? 


I love to take a walk in the evening and take photos along the way. I started with a panoramic from my balcony.










You have seen these Adobo Chicken Tacos before!


























My balcony appears to be the roof above my neighbor.



 
        I hope you enjoyed our evening walk????

Awoke again to a wonderful sunrise. I took some photos of my condo now that it is half done.  Then went to La Jardia up the street for a fantastic Grilled Tuna with Mashed Potatoes and Red Cabbage.


Peek a Boo


The sunrise in less than 5 minutes.Good Morning Oaxaca










I had coffee with Christina, a new expat from Upstate N.Y. that has been living in the Republic of Palau in the South Pacific for 20 years, among other places. Lovely visit and Coffee with Chocolate Cookies at Marito & Moglie on Hidalgo in La Noria. 





Tuesday is now my Dominoes Day with Maddie, a friend and fellow player of years now.  We love the game and find it a refreshing break in the day.









My old friend Hector, one of my first born in Oaxaca friends I met when I arrived, joined me for lunch at Capeche today.



Corn Chowda with Lemon and Cucumber beverage...and my Wine


Hector's Fish and Salad...I had the same except Broiled Fresh Fish in a Corn Husk...sorry I missed that photo.


#1 Moist Cornbread (Cake) 

 


 Exchange rate for one dollar...16.40 pesos...down 20% for us...up 20% for Mexico...we have had it so good for years....and still do! BUT I pay the rent today and will close this post Mid Month. It's hot and right now the pollution has been moderate with particulates 3 times the World standard!  I will get an air purifier and some Green plants in the house. Hope you are having a great summer.  Surf's Up!



 









































2 comments:

DAVID TAYLOR said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

Nice post with lots of wonderful photos ! Thanks for including me in your adventures!!!
Looking forward to more activities😍