Tuesday, November 1, 2022

22 -10 MORE OF FANTASTIC OAXACA.


 We returned to Humar, an outstanding restaurant owned by our friends Salma and Arnud. 
Stuffed Clam

Pap Corn Shrimp

Guacamole

...with Protein

Smoked Marlin Tacos


We walked back home and encountered another Wedding Celebration.





Selling Small Bouquets of Flowers












The following is a part of Oaxacan culture that few know of or have had the pleasure of seeing.  I bring it to you with the help of Shannon Shepard who posted this on her blog ,  https://casita-colibri.blog/  and graciously shared it with you.

Dance of the Kings

For two days following the previously mentioned convite inviting the villagers of Teotitlán del Valle and guests to the festival honoring the Virgen del Rosario (Virgin of the Rosary), the Danza de la Pluma was performed in the atrium of the church. The Danza de la Pluma is a ritual reenactment of the battles between the Aztec and the Spanish conquistadors. There are thirty nine dances that tell the story. This is the Chotis de 4 Reyes– a Schottische performed by the four kings allied with Moctezuma.

As you can see, the dance steps are complex and made all the more challenging by the wind, which comes up most late afternoons this time of year, catching the massive penachos (the headpieces) worn by the dancers. By the way, this day was the actual feast day so they danced for seven hours. I don’t know how they do it!  

Thanks Shannon!

This Sunday morning we headed for one of the local markets where you can get fresh made cheeses, pastries, fruit drinks, vegetables, yogurt, etc.  We chose breakfast Mexican Style with a nice Green Fruit and Vegetable drink.







GOT TO LOVE THE OAXACAN TOURISTS TOO

Dinner was a nice Salad with everything and Fresh Fish swimming in a Corn Mole, followed by the best Flan in the world.



...at Los Quince Letras (fifteen letters).
Dia de Muerte coming up. 

Grilled Salmon and Pineapple with salad at Mayordomo...the Chef!

The following evening Carol and I dined at Casa de Celia again. She had a salad and I had the Spaghetti.  I thought my grandson was at another table?  I took a taxi home and at the light a boy approached me for money. The driver said they were Venezuelan refugees so I gave him 100 pesos and he gave it to his mother and then the father stood up and waved a thank you.




          We had a luncheon date with Ian and Aleksandra, a Canadian couple we have known for a long time but seldom did anything with.  They recommended a restaurant for lunch which I will call Q. 



Cedron Mescal

Pole Mescal






We met at this Mom and Pop Mexican place and after looking over the menu we all ordered the same thing.  It is a vegetarian dish made with something similar to broccoli...but its a stalk that opens its fronds to a green plant with flowers and is very seasonal. I have made nutritious  omelets with it but never had it in a restaurant. We toasted with a Mezcal marinated in Lemongrass then finished the delicious meal with a light fruity dessert and another mezcal.  



That evening I was home in my new place and hungry.  I decided to explore the neighborhood and find a place to have dinner. I settled on  Playa Carmen, a nice open air restaurant that appeared to be very popular. My Salmon was cooked right, the wine pour was good, the prices reasonable...so I had decadent dessert with Martel Cognac 


I returned home to unpack some photos I brought from Arizona of my two favorite couples. 

      Steve and Carmella...(I worked with Steve and he recommended me to a Restaurant consultant who got me my first job as a Restaurant Chef...Carmella would entertain me with her charming smile when I later visited them in Boston. We had have had many fun times together.)    Jeannette and Peter...( I was best man at their wedding which took place on a boat in Amsterdam harbor.  We have exchange homes and traveled places together. Jeannette...God rest her soul.. created fantastic meals in her Amsterdam flat, where I had a room upstairs kept for me that I frequently visited.)

The next afternoon I went out to try Del Jardin for lunch.  I frequent their other location in the Zocalo near my Fiallo condo. I ordered the same Cubana Sandwich with Russian Salad and Wine. Everything was the same except I get a full glass of wine at the other restaurant.



There is no Halloween here...this is adopted from USA for this Ice Cream Entrepreneur. 
The next morning, I took Ian and Aleksandra's suggestion to try Mixtu Restaurant, part of Casa de Arte Hotel, a short distance away.  The food was very good and they were doing a photo shoot of it for PR.








Later I met with Carol and we dropped in to a unique Coffee/Chocolate/Corn Beverage Cafe called Achiote. There 
are Combinations with different add on items like Cinnamon, 
Almonds, Blue Corn, etc...made to order with base combos
already prepared.





       As for its flavor, it is difficult to define it, since it is between earthy, smoked, peppery, spicy and sweet. That makes achiote an ideal ingredient to combine with various flavors.

It is a seed used in drinks, as well as soups and different dishes throughout Mexico and S.A. Ended with a Lemon Tart to die for!
I returned to Mixtu for Breakfast the next day! I had Chicken Enchiladas, Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg and Green drink of Spinach and fruits. 







That evening I stopped into Red's, a local seafood chain that I dislike, but...I noticed Salmon for 170 pesos $8.50 and wine for $2.25...worth a try.  


            Cooked to perfection...all of it. I shall return!

My good friend , Hector came to visit, so we went to Terranova for Friday's Comida...luncheon special meal with appetizer, entree, dessert and beverage for one low price.  I had the fresh fish that was great. I ate the whole meal before I realized I forgot to take a photo.


It was a nice afternoon.  Terranova has another restaurant in the Zocalo that I frequent. Both are excellent food and good price.

I arrived at Carol's but no Carol so I went next door to a Spanish Gastro Pub for wine and Tapas.
 
Carol arrived and we headed for a Comida...and another Wedding.


Carol and I arrived at Casa de Celia again.
Nice Fig Tapas with wine and Vermouth Cocktail from Barcelona.

 
I had a small Tomato and Mozzarella Salad then a Beef Dish wrapped in Pasta while she had a large Salad with Prosciutto .  We both had the best Apple Crisp with Ice Cream ever.





 
We encountered a Boy/Girl Scout Gathering in the Park on our way home.



The next morning we had breakfast at Mixtu. Bacon Omelet with Bacon Gravy and Pancakes and Fruit with Egg and Bacon.


That evening I strolled over to Mexita, an Italian Restaurant for Raviolis with Ricotta and Wine...awesome...I licked the plate.


 
A beautiful evening.  If you wonder why all the food...it's reasonable and good.  I do go shopping a cook but lately...the last few months I have been going back and forth to sell my condo in Arizona and moving things to Mexico.  Then the last two months I have another apartments I have been moving into.  Back and forth a lot and trying to empty one and fill the other.  I will include some pictures of the new one even though I am not unpacked yet.  That will be in the next post.  I thought I would have Day of the Dead photos for you but been too busy.  I promise less food and more cultural activities like a lecture, opera, etc.  I will post in a week the rest of the story....PS...lots of Catrinas in town visiting from the "other side"





No comments: