Tuesday, August 10, 2021

START OF SECOND WEEK - OAXACA

 I remember trying to get to sleep last Saturday night, knowing that the next day would be my first day in Oaxaca in 19 months. Now I have been here a week and hardly had a chance to unpack. Love it.

      Chris, a friend I met in Oaxaca three or four years ago had been working in Phoenix and eventually sold his home and bought one in the village of Etla outside of Oaxaca.  He contacted me when I told him of my return and asked if I would contact his property manager in Phoenix to pick up some little things he needed to bring with me. I agreed and did.  Today Chris was in town for a gathering of our friends at Terranova.  This has been an expat event once a month or so for years to keep in touch.  It was a chance for me to see others in one place and deliver Chris's package for him.

     



Jane, who owns a popular B & B was there along with Michelle who just acquired a beautiful carving from one piece of wood of a horse head were there along with John from the library and my friend Chris who greeted me with a lovely bottle of Mexican Wine as thanks for bringing his package.  

      Zoe, a very good friend who's son in a Chef in Gilbert, Az with his wife, stopped by to join us.  She has another son in Phoenix too.  I met them both when Josh, the Chef was visiting from Hong Kong while deciding what he wanted to do next.  We all ate at a couple of restaurants where the Chef prepared Multi-Course Oaxacan food for us to sample.  Josh did move on to Hawaii for a couple of years before settling in Gilbert.  Zoe was doing well but as all of us was having some back problems but enjoying her life in a village outside of Oaxaca city. Jane left to return home and invited us to a concert she was having at her B&B next Sunday. Chris, Zoe and I got a bite to eat then I walked Zoe to her car so we could talk some more.  She drove me home.  I was starting to feel like I was really home!




I had a visitor when I arrived.  I thought it a Bat but it was a Moth with an 8 inch wing span. I shut the window trapping it in between the window and the screen and retired for the night with my book.


Monday I didn't want to do much at all.  I went to Terranova again for a nice lunch then took a taxi to Sam's club to rejoin as a member and stock up on essentials like Batteries, Gin, Quinine, Big Box Wine, Frozen Salmon, Strawberries, and Blackberries. There was a line to get in with Covid still on the loose.    Then I returned and watched Better Call Saul on Netflix.






Tuesday our Maid came to clean.  She does so every week but I opt for every two weeks.  She cleans the entire floor of the condo, the bath, changes the bed sheets and towels, dusts and tidy's up.   I leave for the 2 hours she is cleaning.  I returned to MARITO & MOGLIE a true Mom and Pop (they had a son while I was gone) Cafe that specializes in excellent coffee drinks and classy snacks.  I had the Avocado Toast with Arugula, Poached Egg and Feta...soooo goood.




I had dropped off my laundry then picked it up on the way home, all clean and folded for $3.25.  Played on the computer then heard this wind or something.  When I went to the window I viewed a torrential rain and tried to take some photos.



Rain doesn't photograph too well.  It was over in 20 minutes so I walked over to Tres Bistro, another favorite, and had a Salmon salad.I accomplished something today...laundry done.




 
 

Wednesday I prepared a nice fresh spinach omelet with Dutch Cheese and fresh Orange Juice.  Late afternoon I visited Berlina hoping to see my friend Gabriel and his wife Johanna .  They are the owners. She is from Germany and is the Chef and he is from Mexico and does the Management.  Great German restaurant.  Neither were there. She was in Germany and he was ?   I had never been there when he wasn't present.  I had the Bratwurst with German Potato Salad with a glass of wine then Apple Strudel with Ice Cream and Ferret after dinner drink. I took home a Smoked Salmon Sandwich on German Bread.






Thursday was a wasted but relaxing day...I did nothing.

     Friday afternoon I made a luncheon meeting with one of my dearest and best friends in Oaxaca, Hector Gonzales.  We had a nice lunch and a nice , long visit.  He agreed to call to inquire about the 2 bedroom home in Pantheon Jardin for rent.  I thought it a nice second home in Oaxaca, but he found out it was rented.  You have to act when a place to rent comes up or you lose it.  
      We stopped at the bakery next door to consummate our reunion with a desert treat.  I had two truffles he had a Lemon tart.

I bought some fruit on the return home.




USED TO A PALM TREE

       Saturday I decided to try one of my favorite restaurants to see if they survived Covid...Cambuche. I took some photos on the way.



 





            It was fantastic as I remember and will return again.





          Sunday I watched Sunday Morning on CBS then left around 3:30 to attend a concert at Casa-Historical, a B & B on the West side.  I caught a taxi but when I arrived, no cars were around on the street and no signs on the door.   I asked the driver to stay while I rang the bell.  A lady answered and said there was nothing going on.  I assumed it was because of the weather forecast for rain.  I had paid the taxi so after he took me back to the Zocalo area, he charged me again.  He needs it more than me.
 
        I ended up at Las Ramblas, greeted everyone and ordered my meal with a glass of wine.  They don't serve wine so had to go to the bar next to them for my wine.  The meal was Tuna dinner @ 190 Pesos and a SMALL glass of wine was 70 pesos. 

Just after receiving it the rains came and it leaks through the roof on to me. 


I moved finished then tried to go home.  I live on the same street, just the other end of it.

I got to the first intersection and it was flooded to walked over a street in hopes of catching a bus when a taxi pulled up.  It was a stretch to get in from the curb.  I had to cross the river Jordan but managed and arrived safe at home.  
       I forgot to shut the bedroom window where all the ants came in to get out of the rain.

  I grabbed my insect spray and massacred the whole lot of them. 

It was a mess and I'm sick of breathing in the fumes at night.  Hopefully this will be the end of it?



      Woke up to the remains of hundreds of ants and news saying temperatures will be rising 1.5 %C in the next two decades. We will be those Ants.   

So Phoenix hi's of 120% will be 123%F in the next 10-20 years?
Probably with no A/C at times of brownouts or power outages.  Get out of Dodge!

CLICK TO SEE YOUR FUTURE:
     The Future


I returned to the Belanc Bakery again for Shaksurka and take home a Turkish and a Greek yogurt.





Beautiful day, beautiful breakfast, beautiful walk home.


Another weekly chapter in the Adventures of a Retired Nomad

No comments: