Thursday, August 12, 2021

AUGUST 10th TUESDAY and SO MUCH MORE....

       I spent most of this cool morning just relaxing and enjoying my "Splendid and Vile" book by Erik Larsen.  In 2019 while in Oaxaca I discovered a newly opened International Boutique Hotel Chain called Selina.  I thought I would return to TastaVin Restaurant to see how that had fared in the pandemic and then stop at Selina after.  The kind of adventure I enjoy.


        The first walk of the day is the worst.  I need a trainer to wake me, throw me in a cold shower, do warm up exercises with me, and then send me for a walk.  I make it about 40 yards then have to sit a bit to let the ankle and leg pain go away.  Then 60 yards, again sit until the pain goes away.  Usually by the third stop I can manage to walk slowly in moderate pain without stopping. As I approached Tasta Vin I noted a large man entering in front of me.  When I arrived I saw a party of 4 with a bottle of wine and shots of mezcal on the table and the man, by himself off in the corner.  




        I ordered a glass of Vin de Dias and Especial de Dias, a pizza with blue cheese and apples and a salad.  The place hadn't changed, and moments later I was served my wine with a tapas. (part of what makes Tasta Vin what it is) .  It was opened maybe 4-5 years ago by a couple of men from Spain...hence the tapas with each glass of wine ordered. 

      The single man ordered a bottle of wine and an appetizer.  Two separate couples came and sat down.  The only server was doing a great job of serving everyone. My order came out so I got another glass of wine to go with it.  The salad and pizza were perfect.  Where else can I get such a nice dinner with two glasses of wine for $9.50 plus two tapas.  The man ordered a spaghetti plate with spinach and cheese mixed in.  I finished mine but felt so good to be "dining" out in a nice restaurant with good vibes...I ordered a Chocolate Truffle...then added a shot of Mezcal.  The man ordered a salad after finishing his plate of pasta.  I paid the bill and noticed he was pouring the last of the wine as I was leaving. Good Appetite!

          I remember when Selina was converted from an old empty building into a Boutique Hotel for Internet travelers.(those that work off the internet and are free to go where they please).  Everyday I would walk by a security police hired to keep peepers like me away from the construction.  I talked him into letting me take some photos of the reception desk where a woman was painting a mural.  I think she did a lot of the murals in Selina. 






                                  Oh...a Mural of Me
 

      I went up to the roof to have last call.  People were relaxing, reading a book or working on the internet in various nooks and crannies along the way and on the roof.  While I was pursuing the cocktail menu "Sex on the Beach" jumped out at me.  I haven't had Sex on the Beach since 1975 on Martha's Vineyard and once before that in 1965 on Lake Ontario beach in Sodus Point.  

         I was buzzed and it felt good.  I took some photos then a Mexican man came to the bar to order a drink. 





He was a hotel guest, named Victor Nunez who worked as a Masseuse and graphic designer in Carmen on the Caribbean.  
 He was in his early 30's and traveled on weekends to Costa Rica.  He wanted to visit the United States someday but was content doing what he did.  I think he had visited 3 Selina hotels in different parts of Costa Rica at different times.  The price of a private room could be $300 a night or a Dormitory for as little as $40 a night.  We chatted a while but rain was threatening and I finally was finishing my second drink...black coffee.




              Nice evening with people going to dinner and strolling the streets.






          The barbershop, close to my condo, was open. I decided to get my haircut.  




  

    The Barber was excellent and only used scissors and a straight razor, no clippers.





The next day I stayed in and make Black Bean soup.  I had gone to Cherdaui the morning before and stocked in on the last of my food so it was time to get healthy.  It turned out pretty good .  I watched a movie called Taste of Pho about a Vietnamese father and his daughter that fled Vietnam for Poland.  He was working in a Chinese restaurant as a Cook specializing in Pho and other Vietnamese items on the menu. Good movie.

         Today I hope to find a Tea House and stock some Teas in from around the world.   I took a Taxi to a well reviewed French Bistro MIAM that served Breakfast and Lunch.  I was hungry and excited over the reputation. They were closed for the day.  Private party. Come back tomorrow.

       I took a taxi back to the center and searched for Isabelle's Tea House.  I found the location but she was no longer in business.  A little shop not to far away did have some loose Teas that were expensive but I didn't want to waste a trip so bought a couple


     I knew and loved this neighborhood so took some photos and walked around until I arrived at an old standby that was still in business and still serving good food. 














 I had the basics and returned home. 


       This is NOT Kansas Dorthy...nor is it Camelback Road.

This was "not even" Three full days, but I'm going to Post it.





No comments: