Thursday, August 10, 2017

MY LAST MONTH OF SUMMER IN OAXACA 2017

I am optimistic that my Spanish will improve and perhaps I might even get in a few games of pool this month.  Gadi and I changed the schedule now she has moved into her new apartment in Tule...and hour by bus away.  Next week she will start coming in the late afternoon.  It will probably be better for me too.  
Thursday I met with Zoe at Cabuche for a nice Comida consisting of a very nice salad, Albondigas Rellenes y Huevos (Pork Meatballs with a quail egg inside) and coffee.
 I returned home for the evening and attempted to make a Hot Pot Japanese Soup in my new casserole dish.  I spent an hour chopping Yellow bell peppers, Shiitake Mushrooms, fresh Bacon, Cabbage, spring onions, fresh peas,  red onions , garlic, fresh baby organic carrots, fresh ginger, all mixed in with a broth of Bonito Fish then baked in the oven for two hours...like a Crock Pot the porous ceramic pot with lid evenly simmered it perfect. BUT...though I had seasoned the pot by soaking it in water for two hours then putting it into the oven with water in it for another hour, I wasn't prepared for what I saw when I took the lid off.  There was a dark brown moist liquid secretion from the dye or stain or seal that was put on the casserole when it was fired in the kiln that came out of the ceramic.  I wiped it off and tasted it but it didn't seem toxic nor did it seep into the soup.  I scooped it all out of the dish and decided the dish was not good for cooking so I will use it as a planter for my new project...Mini Cacti decor for the house.  I had a small bowl and after an hour I had no poisoning so decided it was OK to eat but still lacked flavor.

I retired early since I met Gadi at 8:30 AM because she was moving yesterday, so slept late today.  I felt good so quickly showered and headed for the organic market to buy some compost for my new " casserole planter" .

MEZCAL UNDER THE BELL JAR





GOOD DOG TRAINER
 I then headed for the Bakery and bought some bread had my morning coffee and a rich Blueberry Muffin.



 Then off to the Importador where I ran into an event teaching and playing Mayan games to children and adults.  






BINGO WITH CORN



                                                                                 SPIN THE TOP WITH A WHIP
to meet Darcy for a lemonade before backtracking to the Contemporary Art Museum












then on to meet Barbara at Biznaga.  She had been away for the summer in Illinois and was now looking for a new place to settle down in Oaxaca in.  She just applied for residency in Mexico but still wants to return to her home in Northern US for the good summers.  We had a nice conversation then I left to see a French Photo exhibit at the Oaxacan Library before taking a taxi home.


PALACE OF THE POPES...AVIGNON FRANCE 

NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL PARIS



 

       This evening there was a Violin  Jazz concert at the same Library so returned at 7...took a photo, joined my friend Mike who was with Naomi...then left after the first song.  The violin Jazz also included a Guitar, Keyboard and all the musicians were good but they all seemed to be playing a different loud tune.  

      I went to the Importador again for Vegetarian Lasagna, took some photos of a lady with fresh flowers arranged in her hair like a Tiara..looked weird from the back but nice from the front, bought a cricket made from a Palm frond, watched the world go by and returned home a very happy man.
Cub Boy and Explorer Scouts...and Girl Scouts


TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HER HAIR?

BOUGHT FROM THE CRICKET MAN

TRIED TO TAKE IT TO QUICKLY SO SHE WOULD NOT SEE ME MESSED UP THE TIARA OF FLOWERS

ME AMIGO AND WAITER ROLANDO

MY NEW CRICKET

BOUGHT A NEW BOX AT THE MUSEUM...I LIKE IT


Today I get to try Arte Comible, an sort of Italian gourmet restaurant in Colonial Reforma that a friend, Annalisa recommended and wanted to try also.  I will meet her there.
    She invited a neighbor from Ithaca N Y and her visiting Grandchild.  The four of us took up most of the restaurant.
 Small...like 8-10 seats...  The four of us shared a bottle of Chilean Cabernet Savignon. We had Tuna Cappaccio for an app...very good. One person had Cannolis, like crepes but I forgot what was in them...very good.

I shared Osso Bucco Raviolis and small potatoes with perfectly cooked breast of Chicken with a Cream Pesto sauce...which I thought was outstanding.

  Blackberry Cheesecake with Espresso and Tiramisu (little too rich for me) but good.
Late afternoon it was pleasant on ground level open to the street but flies were a problem.  He lives out near Monte Alban and opens 9 am to 5 Tues to Sunday.  I hope to try his breakfast next week...no printed menu...so small he just makes what is needed on a daily basis and recites it.  Breakfast, I think he has a blackboard.

Monday I stopped in the park to listen to a good Sax and Guitar Duo
then exchanged my computer mouse that didn't work for another...that didn't work.  Gadi came and we chatted more than practice Spanish...but I enjoy that too.  I retired early so I could get out of the house tomorrow ASAP.  Too hot in the afternoons to be in the Sun.

Well he doesn't have a blackboard or a menu.  I took the bus and got off closest to the Restaurant then took a taxi for $2 so saved a bit.


 He wasn't there (only in Charcoal..on left) but his Oaxacan born beautiful and smiling wife offered me something in Spanish that sounded like biscuits and eggs?  I agreed and ask for coffee while I was waiting.  First came the Biscuit with Strawberry Jam, Strawberries, Apple and Cottage Cheese
...then came the Ham and Cheese Omelet that I guess I ordered with fresh Vegetables.
 All was good.  I ordered another Lavazza Cafe and sat outside for 5 minutes before the light rain started.  I returned, finished my delicious coffee and paid the bill $4.
       The rain stopped so I started the walk back and spotted his competition.
A little further I discovered another section of the Aqueduct built by the Dominicans in late 1500's or early 1600's to bring water from the Sierra Norte Mountains to the city of Oaxaca...amazing feat that I believe took almost 20 years ...with slave indigenous labor of course.  I took a few photos before finally getting a taxi to the computer store...$2.









GIVE ME BACK MY CULTURE







   The same clerk showed me how to put batteries in properly to make the mouse work.  DUH.  I couldn't see the + or -  signs.  I walked the short distance home.
      I had the whole afternoon to play with my computer and enjoyed a cool beautiful morning.  I have to get out early more often. Gadi came and we studied some and chatted some.  

    Today I overslept but left for Zaachila on a collectivo Taxi as planned.  I arrived at the Mercado and was overwhelmed. It was huge, easy to get around and you wanted to buy all those fresh fruits and vegetables...BUT I have too much at home.  It was impressive...I could not resist the heritage tomatoes and the FRESH ginger.  I took 130 photos and returned the same way but got off right next to my house...round trip $1.30.  I'm going to close out this post because Zaachila will be a post of it's own.  Next!


















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! This makes me really, really miss Oaxaca. So many places I've never been - e.g. the Aqueduct.