Thursday, May 2, 2024

24 - 4 END OF APRIL

 Lee , my neighbor has been leaving early, when it's cool, for his morning walk and I have been putzing around and lucky to get out by 9:30.  This morning I left at 7am and it was so refreshing.  I decided to challenge myself by walking down to the Center than take Crespo back all the way home. 














I was enjoying the solitude and fresh air while returning on Crespo I ran into Bob and Ruth, old domino friends.  They just came from climbing the STEPS.  I cringe when I hear that word.  STEPS go to the Guelagetza Auditorium from Crespo.  It it straight up to the top of Fortin Mountain. They said they do it morning but early to avoid the crowd and heat. Crowd? The runners, dogwalkers, exercise nuts, etc. Well I said I would try that someday and they left.  As I approached the entrance to the STEPS I thought, what is wrong with today! So I started up. 





                           HALF WAY MARKER..A CARVED TREE TRUNK







            MUSHROOM SAINT:MARIA SABINA- CENTER
            Note: Mushrooms under her Painting







I did it! On the way, Avis, Lee's daughter was coming down from her exercise. Walking around the Auditorium I noticed people following the road further! Couldn't be much further to the top?












It was further.....


                          Pray for Me Mother Mary









                                   A Playground!?


I saw a vending machine so hopped the fence to buy a bottle of water since I had not brought or drank any. Two men came out and told me I was off limits.


                               Finally...the Summit!





         Now the downhill run....and breakfast!



                                Lots of Dog Walkers



Boy/Girl Scouts out Hiking...with dress uniforms? ...Mexico!





Do you have a Bottle of water at your restaurant...NO!?

         Toilet and Water....thank you thank you!




I counted 440 steps...up...and back! Not counting the Ramps, slopes, and up hill requirements to reach the summit. SacreCouer...the Church in Paris has over 700 steps to get the Sunset view with the Eifel Tower. 








Finally...breakfast at Aquacate..What? Closed Sunday Morning for Maintenance?  I returned home and had a great Breakfast. I sat most of the day! Then went to Casa Celia for Paella but so tired I forgot to take photo.

                       Light Rain was Refreshing



        Home Sweet Home...Hazy Day and Evening

Slept very well that evening and got up and heading for Ayuk and Breakfast. 


 
                Record trash collection ...I thought. 




Chicken over Blue Corn Chip with Amarillo Mole to Die for...just an expression...but rarely do I love Mole. Like but this I loved.  I was so famished after my Trek yesterday that I had another Breakfast with Avocado and Salad. Never left the condo that day.

Wonderful Sunrise this morning...that afternoon Gabriela, who lives near Ayuk but wasn't attracted to the place agreed to have late lunch with me.  We both had the Tenderloin of Beef with Rice and Veggies . We split the Salad!  





Our lunch was a bit Chewy, as is most beef in Mexico...commercial grade I think...the rest goes to fine dining or overseas.  We had a nice conversation and I toured her beautiful home just down the street. Gabriella is a very accomplished artist and dancer who has done her share of world travel. I returned home, watched a couple episodes of Killing Eve...toasted the Full Moon and again...slept well.

This morning I got out of the house early with my camera and headed for the Zocalo.  Wandered a bit then realized it had been a while since I visited the Oaxacan Painter's Gallery where they showcase local artists and change the exhibition frequently.  I photographed the works of a famous Mask maker and those of a Sculpture, Rufino Tamayo.

                  Homeless getting his morning clean up.



Endless lines ... a Bureaucratic Nightmare....I had to do
this to get my Permanent Residency.  Same place.


         Zocalo in the Morning...so quiet and peaceful. I said Sell not Buy!


 
Mexicans still grind corn into flour with these stones.










































The Street below me is named after Rufino Tamayo


I was headed home after that and stopped at Cafe Cafe,
a highly recommended Coffee shop that is adjacent to my Bus stop. I ended up having my Breakfast there before returning home to meet later with John and Carla for dinner at Casa Barro where we are attending a Democrat's Abroad Happy Hour.















This is a wooden plate...first I've ever eaten off of!


                  Huevos Rancheros ...very good.


My Mask purchase...was carved by Duarte? in 1978 and hangs on my patio now. Also bought a Bust of a lady with and exploded head ...so put some fake plant in it. The Cafe Cafe gets a thumbs up for sure. Lovely place and I took home some of their coffee beans to grind some morning.


I love her...the bust....and Maria Sabina the Saint of Mushrooms



John and Carla joined Lee, my neighbor and saved my seat. 




I love the views from Casa Barro. This is the Guelaguetza Auditorium that I walked to recently.



           
               Carved Wooden Horse Chair.

 
We had a great dinner together and hope to see them in Attica in late September.  Very special friends! 





I didn't expect to see Ninja's fighting in our Arches Plaza.  I took some photos but they wouldn't stop to pose.  Lee suggested I should have switched to video. Yeah...next time? No Black Burger tonight. Long day.

Breakfast at Ayuk...then forced walk to the Zocalo to stretch and loosen up a bit.  Turned out to be the beginning of some 475 year Anniversary of Oaxaca! There will be festivities galore and entertainment everywhere.  The children are the focus!


Notice the two Chess Champs training for the big time.


Lee said he was at the Zocalo at 7:30 am this morning and they had a full Orchestra playing to a full audience.
I ran down to see what else...

Big Saturday Show for the Children....


Amusements and games for them to play...


He is hoping all with others to make some money with the crowds by selling trinkets .  Mexicans aren't lazy!


     Some real collector's Masks at a nearby Gallery.

I stuck close to home to avoid the crowds today. Dogs took the center stage at the Arches Plaza today. I dined at Casa Celia. Very good as usual. Clouds out but air still and warm!

               "Gazpacho Salad"...licked the plate...

Spanish Omelet...with Potatoes, Caramelized Onions and Chorizo.




Today, I stayed in and had breakfast.  Then later took
a walk to Sur y Norte for some Cauliflower Tacos then Marinated Beef and Vegetables.


Strolling home I passed the Aqueduct Plaza and saw a first...two boys playing Catch.  It made me nostalgic. Not for baseball but for being a child again?



                        Is that a Bear....or a Cloud.

 I forgot my real camera which would have been great. Two nuns with their Black gowns on, were walking toward the Church entrance when a tourist wanted to take a photo of them.  Then he wanted his wife in the center with them on either side.
 


 You seldom see Nuns, Priests, Bishops or any of the Catholic denomination in their church attire in public outside of the Church. These Nuns are on church property.   President Juarez, the shortest President of any country and a Zapotec on top of that...disliked the Catholic church for taking money from the poor to support the Vatican and made it a criminal offense for members of the clergy to wear Vestments in public. He deemed it intimidating.  You will see it in Spain and Italy everywhere but not so much in Mexico unless it's the Easter Procession.
       He fell in love with and married a Catholic but refused to set foot inside the church. They were wed on the doorstep of the Church just down the street from the home he worked in as a young boy.  There he met the daughter of the family he worked for and after their marriage they lived in the home just up the street. Mid-Eighteen hundreds. 
   With the right camera...would have been great. 

This morning I returned to Ayuk for my Poached Eggs on Avocado...then had the Enchiladas Suiza.


Kathy, Doug's wife, sent me another of Doug's brilliant photos...of a Mallard in flight.  Click on this to open it full .  Tomorrow is the last day of April and Maddie returned from her family visit to play Dominos with me, but didn't feel well in the morning so cancelled.  I spent the day at home and enjoyed the quiet.  This ends April and now May...both the hottest months in Oaxaca. We are getting rain but little wind or breezes. Stifling humidity but fans help.   Enjoy.  


 



 


 































































































No comments: