Thursday, February 1, 2024

24 - 1 A New Year has Begun...con't.

 Today was a long awaited lunch with an old friend, Deke. We met at Terranova in the Zocalo for a Comida...full lunch. I enjoyed a Baked Chicken Breast with Rice and Deke had a Stuffed Problano Chile.We decided to get together once a month minimum for lunch.


Our neighbor came by a 50 Liter drum of homemade Mezcal that the boys divided up and shared. 






 
I sent out the last post and Doug Sieg replied with two photos from NY, Nancy said big snowfall in Maryland, and Penny reported all bridges in and out of New Orleans were closed due to Ice. It was freezing at 1 pm. Then Marjorie sent a photo of Long Thanh at his studio in Nha Trang. He and I met 20 years ago and I bought 3 of his photos. Two I gave away and this is the other:




 
I misspelled Maria Sanchez on the last post. That was disrespectful to this amazing brave woman, Maria Sabina.  Someday a movie of her story will be told. Meanwhile if you want a brief synopsis of her life:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3%ADa_Sabina

While I am at it, The Three Kings also is an important part of the holiday tradition that I think you would be interested. I donate every year for an orphan gift at this time.

Three Kings Day Update 2024.pdf

Eric sent a photo of his weather report. 



Lee, my neighbor, and I visited Tamburini on Melchor Ocampo, the Italian Restaurant I checked out earlier.  This time we explored the kitchen and roof top bar, then had dinner downstairs.  Very good and we will return.






         Note: They brought their own power supply for lighting.

Dominos Day with Judi, Jackie, and Marc at the library.  We went to Berlina after for Johanna's great German sausages, Potato Salad and Brown Bread with some great Beer to wash it down. Gabriel Johanna's husband and Manager was there to greet us. We were some of his first customers 4,5 or 6 years ago their first Berlina that was so successful, he had to get a bigger place. 


Second Dawn with Contrails? or what...but this one big one went across the whole sky to the other horizon?



                  Dog walkers are in big demand in Oaxaca.


                Reunion with Judi, Marc and Gabriel at Berlina
 


    My friends are Gluten intolerant so I get Johanna's Brown Bread!



Marc and I visited Labo Fermento, a Restaurant-Bar-Retail Fermented Food products and Wine Store. Very unique. They also smoked fish, duck, ribs....   I have never seen an operation like this. I bought Fermented Jicama and Shoyu liquid seasoning similar to Soy Sauce but no Soy. Marc took home some Kimchi. 



















         
                  Got to check De Fondo out when I get a chance.


 We split in different directions as I was close to home. I discovered some interesting businesses in my neighborhood I didn't know existed. One special Artisan gift shop where I bought a T-shirt and may go back for a beautiful Photograph. The Labo Fermento was Marc's discovery. Lots of new places to check out nearby as well as others that are now popping up all over Oaxaca...another Italian Restaurant is one.

Liverpool Hall this morning.


                         Doug, analyzing which shot to take.
 

               OK Kurt, I get it...rack em and let's play pool!


Allen our Pool Professor wondering if he will get to shoot after this.

Marc and I headed for another visit at our new Korean Restaurant on Colon, Dururu for another great lunch. I included the dessert menu just because I loved their merchandising.








                    
                    LUCHA LIBRE IS BIG IN MEXICO...One of my Barbers is an International Champion with the Belt to Prove it.

Saturday Michelle and Connie arrived from driving all the way from Chicago!  We had lunch together and Sunday met up again at Casa Colonial for a Gypsy Jazz concert that was packed. 


My favorite "double trouble" Mother and Daughter dynamic Duo!
PS...Connie celebrates her 90th Birthday this year. Walks 2 hours a day.
     
                                    More Hand Holding.



I had breakfast at home this morning then left for shopping at Sam's Club. I arrived at the bus stop but noticed the road coming from the North was blocked by police and only one bus was just leaving. Another came from a different direction and was BRAND NEW! Never seen a NEW bus or close to it in Oaxaca but it said Walmart as the destination, which goes by Sam's Club, so I hopped on and was surprised that instead of giving the money to the driver, a machine took it and dispensed change! Wow we are moving up.



              First Bus Schedule I have ever seen in Oaxaca!




Unfortunately the bus Route was different and it didn't go past Sam's, so I exited at Walmart and hoped I could get my shopping list done but didn't so took a taxi back home.  I received a reminder from my calendar that I had a luncheon at Marco Polo at 1:30...it was 1:20 when I arrived and unloaded my groceries and ran out the door. This was a "Democrats Abroad" monthly gathering and was full. Turns out that it was 12:30 NOT 1:30 so everyone was leaving. I went to Casa Celia for lunch of Mushroom Soup and Beef Burgundy.






                   Another neighborhood Photo shoot.
I returned home to sterilized containers for the Natto I have fermenting in my Instapot for daily health consumption. Natto is fermented Soy beans eaten in Japan daily. I finished portioning into containers, then storing in the freezer for my meals. Just in time for the Gypsy Jazz concert. I took the bus to nearby and walked by a group of dancers before arriving at Casa Colonial to a packed house.
I greeted the Hostess Jane and paid my 200 pesos then had a drink with the "double trouble duo" before ordering a Hamburg for my dinner.





I sat in the living Room of the Casa to have my drink and listen to the music...which was fantastic.


They sure do get around considering they live in Teotitlan, an hour away. She brought her brother, a year round resident sitting at the end.

Jane added Coi to her beautiful Casa. Coi Pool click to see.







          This white haired lady was dancing up a storm by herself.



I returned at Dusk and went to the Roof to take the following Photo.


Today, I met John and Carla for dinner at a new place called Art Italian Restaurante on Benito Juarez.  It was a little pricey but we ordered just entrees and wine. John had Lasagna, Carla had Mushroom Ravioli, and I had Grilled Tuna on a Spinach Pesto.







 All were good...but not great.

I returned to YEGOLE the next day for Chicken Salad for lunch. The food is GOOD for breakfast and lunch.



      Breakfast today at Marco Polo with the Men!  Milton, a long time Domino player that hasn't been around was celebrating his 90th Birthday. The waitress brought his Birthday Cake after we finished and they all sang to him. It was so nice to see him again. We had about 10 at our table and the LBGBT had about 25 at theirs.




Casserole like breakfast with Scrambled Eggs in Tomato and Beans.
 

                          Milton enjoying his 90th Birthday!


                      Protesters from down South...land dispute?


                                           Dog walker
I returned to pick up Gaby for a Cardiologist appointment I made for her and me. My annual check up and her spot. Both good. We went to dinner at Los Quinta Letras. She had some Memolitas and I had Fresh Dorado wrapped in Santa Hierba leafs. 



                            It was all delicious...especially the Flan!

The following morning I was off to catch the Caravan to Octolan for an all day Library Tour that started off with a visit to Rodolfo Morales home. He was a first class Mexican painter. His Son showed us around the home before we left to visit a Morale's Museum , the Church and then a Morale's Mural.




                                          OCOTLAN







































                      This would be played by Candlelight!






















Time for lunch at the Mercado in the Center. After lunch we visited a Forge that crafted Knives. The did the Sword that Arnold Schwarzenegger used in Conan the Barbarian. Also Jimmy Carter visited to observe as we did, how they did it all.










Angel Aguilar is the last on the right and still working after 54 years!
We returned to Oaxaca and I later dining at Aquacate for dinner.




                Avocado Toast with Fried Egg and Tofu

Sunday, I went to Casa Baro for another Ice Cream Social fundraiser.
I am down to a 32 inch waist now so treated myself! 



Then I had dinner at Vin and Vinyl's new location on Reforma. It was very nice, with excellent service and food. The music was excellent quality and not loud but just perfect with the food preparation better than ever. 















I discovered another new restaurant and bar on Muguria, while returning home. Another wedding also on a beautiful evening.

Ayuk served my Poached Eggs on Avocado the next morning. I then spent the next two days in and watched First Reformer with Ethan Hawk, Exodus with Paul Newman and finished Passage to India.





            Dance Practice  and Botus got Shaved...he so happy.



Good Morning....Breakfast...Dinner...to Bed







Pool this morning, then a photowalk with 5 pm Happy Hour with Democrats Abroad.










Lots of Dogs run wild and sleep wherever they can, even the middle of your walkway.


                            Beef Tacos at Happy Hour.




                                           I am all Ears


I Visited John and Carla today.  I had not been to there place and enjoyed some Excellent Vermont Cheddar, Crackers and Apple before we went next door to a lovely Family run restaurant for lunch.






That's all Folks...Helen arrived today so we are all going out this weekend for dinner at Vin and Vinyl. I will get this out Pronto.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the photos, some real works of art! Also, now I really want to visit Ocotlán! Gracias por todos amigo!