Sunday, November 5, 2023

23 - 10 DAY OF THE DEAD COMING UP IN OAXACA

 This will be the last post for October but won't be sent out until around the 5th of November so I can include all of the Day of the Dead photos for you. To understand the special Celebration I include an article from :National Geographic click then back button when done.

The weather is now long sleeve shirts and no shorts with occasional sweater. Love it.

In my recent blog about the Mole de Caderas, I ate and enjoy the dish at the Festival but failed to give you any information as to the tradition of the festival and the dish. That was because ...I didn't know...I was hungry for something different to eat.  I like variety. Now, thanks to "The View from Casita Colibri" (click then press back button when done)  I will let Shannon, my gringa friend, fill you in with her outstanding explanation of the whole deal. 

Dominos Day John joined Maddie and I.  We finished with Maddie a winner again! We had a good game and then ate lunch at Aquacate again...so good. Sushi , Lentil, and Rice Bowls.





Another great sunrise! Later that day, Lee and I walked over to Sur y Norte for Tacos...they did a great job chalking their blackboard. Forgot to do Taco photos.



Excellent Chalk Art

My former Classmate, Doug, sent more of his wonderful Fall Photos now he is back in Eastern NYS. I forgot to show you the new set of bowls I bought.













I never tire of Fall photos.  Weddings yes, but ran into another on the way to XAOK...the old MOOK...for dinner,  don't ask? I don't know how to pronounce it. The food was good and again Ali and Ian were there entertaining another nice couple. 


  Theo Van Garcia


            The Wedding Parade got held up at the Crossing



A Mole Dish with Three Enchiladas, each with different filling.


                            One really fancy "Red Beer"

                           A new work in Progress

                                    

                             Another new Day


John and I joined the "boys" at Liverpool to practice our skills. The hall was packed with all tables taken by school students. John beat me 3 out of 5 games before we left for lunch at the new Boulanc Bakery Two...in Jalatlaco. Limited menu but still excellent choices as usual. 








      John had Yogurt, Fruit and Nuts..while I opted for a Salad

                           You can tell, John was hungry!




Saturday started with an Opera Broadcast from NYC at 11am. John and Carla joined me, then Aomi was there and joined us  for lunch at Cabuche.

A young lady on the bus. Her headphones had ears that Lit up!


Started off with a violent rape scene then murder...but turned out to be very good.

John and Aomi on the patio, which while trying to capture...I cut Carla out of the picture! Sorry!





Tlayuda, Black Bean Soup, Postole, and Potato Soup...I had Fresh Fish Veracruz after the soup.

                          Band on Break

Short story. I have Arthritic pain in right thumb joint and tried to lift 5 gallons of water with that hand. It was so painful after that, I ran to the pharmacy for Emulgel, then tried CBD Salve, then frustrated by the lack of anything to take away the pain, I went on Amazon, ordered Tiger Balm from Thailand that arrived in 2 days. The pain was 90% gone within 5 minutes after applying!

Today, my good friend Chris...who I haven't seen in 3 months, drove over to have Eggs Benedict with me at AM Restaurant. It was delicious. And our 4'6" waitress was a delight.


                  Chris, stocking up on "Cookies".


       Day of the Dead Marigold Flowers are everywhere now.

I visited the Clinic for my 3 month PSA check up and Testosterone level. $45 and results within 3 hours emailed to me. PSA fine...Test ...off the charts. My last was way below and I thought it was because it was a recently expired Medication so I doubled the dose. No wonder I was getting so upset over little things...my male ego was boosted. I corrected the dose. The clinic had a beautiful Zen garden with ponds full of Koi.









I stopped at Aquacate to cash in my earned credits for a free Breakfast Bowl...so good!

Photo Shoot for Day of the Dead Promo...complete with drone photos.




Dominos Day without John? Maddie lost but still maintains the leadership. We visited "Ayuk" and never tire of it, for good reason.



Maddie's Chicken Enchiladas & David's Fresh Chicken Huerta! Unbelievably Great..., as usual. Later that afternoon I took a Photowalk to pick up a DHL package I ordered that they tried to deliver twice one evening...9 pm and 11 pm but no one answered the gate so instead of rescheduling the delivery...they said I had to come get it at their central office...not the one next door to me! I arrived at just before 2 when they close for lunch. She said I had to return at 3 pm...after yelling bullshit 3 times (bad gringo), I stormed out the door and got a lousy Hamburg at Boulanc Bakery.


                                         What was I thinking?


Homemade tasteless ketsup and limp dill pickle with OK hamburg on a 2 day old roll. 


This is the doorstep that Benito Juarez, the shortest 4'9" President of any country in the world, got married to the daughter of the household he worked for when in his teens. She was Catholic and he refused to enter the church as he eddid not approve of the Church taking money from and using Mexicans as slaves. The house is only a few blocks away where they both lived after marriage.







I did return to DHL the following day and picked up my package.  I visited Terranova and Geraldo in the Zocalo for what they called a Club Sandwich...with 4 FOUR slices of bread and a American serving of "McD's" Fries.

      
                        Geraldo in the background.


I made arrangements for "the boys", Juan, Jose, and ?, to install my bathroom light and fix my shade. They did the light and will return when parts arrive for the shade.


 
These guys are great. They have a band when they aren't working in their "handyman" business. Off for photowalk.


Note the floor..giant Ants




"Catrinas popping up everywhere for Day of the Dead"



The following day Casa Hidalgo was my breakfast choice. Then after a couple hours of pool, I met Michelle for lunch. She comes in from Chicago for Day of the Dead Celebration at her year round casa in the Zapotec Pueblo of Teotitlan where almost everyone has a loom and weaves rugs, bedspreads, etc. I used to share a her place when she wasn't there. Still have the offer, along with an invite to her annual party on Sunday that I am attending with excited anticipation. So into our conversation that I never took a photo. The Zocalo had Altars set as examples of the what is set up in the homes.




Great Huevos Rancheros and Fresh Grapefruit juice.




          Had to visit my Queen of Tamales for More 





          Entertainment and parades are on the agenda.





More Tamales today from Shannon's Queen of Tamales
 Wrong...I got there too late. So I went for a Photowalk.


         
Neighborhood Market reopened for the Season








Carolyn my neighbor and her oldest child of 3 decoration for Day of the Dead.




         
                                   Touristos










                
 Altar in the Museum del Palacio de Oaxaca


People waiting to get in to the Museum to see Altar


Altars for the Dead to return and visit their love ones.














Party in Teotitlan at Michelle's today..Lunch at XAOK


Gene and Francisco's Apartment for their Visit...if they arrive? Missed connection in Germany to Toronto? Still waiting to hear from them...just what every traveler dreads.

Tonight was Michelle's "Return to Oaxaca" party at her year round family place they keep in Teotitlan. She arranged a Taxi at the library for 6 of us to meet. We arrived to about 15-20 people, some from Chicago and other friends from Teotitlan area and Oaxaca.  Food was laid out on a buffet table and drinks to enjoy. I went up on the roof and socialized with the crowd. It was a fun gathering and later the Taxi took us home.
      

              Home of the Guerreros Baseball Team


                         Welcome to Michelle's


                     Spider Eggs were delicious.




                      Michelle charming us all!





                        Sorry, I thought it was free.


                   Our Chef did a great job.


The next morning I went on a photowalk and returned   to a message that Gene and Francisco will arrive a day late, tomorrow. 




















             Chicken Bowl at new place in Jalaltco






Gene and Francisco arrive but their 2 checked bags didn't. Air Canada will forward them when they find them.




They arrived tired but with a smile...we ate at Casa Ciena and they napped before their Tour of two Cemeteries with a tour from the library.


       
Sweet Potato Appetizer and Beef Bourguignon
I got them some snacks to put in the fridge so they would have something to eat on their return. I walked them to the group departure then I walked into the crowds to take some photos before going home and bed early.

















 
Cauliflower Tacos at Sur y Norte before going home.


I woke early and got a message shortly after for breakfast from Gene. I invited them over to see my place and have breakfast here. We had Scrambled Eggs with Shrimp and Avocado, Fruit , Hot Chocolate and Sourdough Toast. They returned to meet their tour guide for Teotitlan where they spent the day getting painted up and seeing the puebla. I made reservations for 7:30 so we will see if they come with or without their new persona...




Going to be an interesting night at Bacanora in Jalaltco. We arrived and ordered...Francisco and I had the Fish of the Day and Gene had Mixed Seafood Combo. Both of them had Ceviche before the Entree. It was pricey and when we requested water he brought expensive bottled Mineral water which I don't like and hate paying for water. Turns out, they were treating me to dinner and I didn't know it. It was a good meal but I wouldn't go back with those HIGH prices. Oh yeah, they tried to get us to use a bar code to view the menu on our phones. I complained, as I did the last time I was there, and they only had 2 menus, both in Spanish for the three of us. Like they can't afford menus?

     
 Fresh Dorado Fish on a Corn Risotto...very good

   
    Combination Shrimp, Mussels, Octopus, and Fish
      

     My daughter Heather sent me Halloween costume photos of her sons, her and Allen.



I took my visitors to Capiche for 3 Eggs Benedict Breakfast then 3 ATM's until we found one that worked for them. 




I returned home while they visited the Market and Museum. Later that evening we visited Kintaro for a wonderful Sukiyaki and Salmon Roll. Forgot photos until the finish with a Matcha Cheesecake made served at the restaurant but made by my Japanese Chef who sells food out of the back of her car.










                                  Good Morning Oaxaca!  


We had breakfast at Del Jardin at Casa Barro then Cortado Coffee at Once in Oaxaca in Jalaltco.  Hamburg across from the Cathedral then dinner at Tres Bistro.











It was a nice evening and our dinner was very good at Tres Bistro with Alfredo pouring our Wine for us!














            Another great Morning with Breakfast at AM nearby.





  
     Eggs Benedict with dried Tomatoes in  Pesto Sauce

Then they visited Abastos Market, then we had lunch at Santa Hierba in Jalaltco for  Grilled Tuna Sandwiches. They finally heard their bags will be delivered to the airport where they will pick them up tomorrow along with their rental car for 2 more weeks of travel and sites in Puebla, Guanajuato, and Guadalajara, before returning to Cancun, Toronto, and Brussels.
 They missed a connection on the way here so lost one day in Oaxaca...then luggage got lost and was hopefully waiting for them today at the Oaxaca airport along with the rental car. It wasn't! Only one.
 It was hectic and busy but we had fun. Planning Thanksgiving with my daughter's family in LA and visiting Gaby in San Diego...coming up soon. Dias de Muertos is over but Oaxaca is now getting winter visitors arrivals.




Quote:  What I see as stasis is, in fact, moving, and if my pen wiggles along faster than the fractional creepings of the continental plate and rooted mats below me that are a slow and grand erasing of what I see now, its movement counts for little when compared against the imperceptibilities going on here, forces completely remaking this place second by second, inch by inch. A traveler (who cannot even remotely detect the thousand-mile-an-hour spinning of the planet , rides through space at sixty-seven thousand miles an hour, to say nothing of its solar and galactic movements and its precession) writes in his notebook nothing is happening. Man muses, God guffaws.  " (from "PrairyErth: A Deep Map" by William Least Heat-Moon) 

Next post around December 1.   Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Despite the world in turmoil, Climate Emergency and next year's elections...we do have a lot to Thankful for!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another fantastic array of your famous “ photo walks”. Such vivid colors and delicious looking meals!
Thank you for educating me about The Day of The Dead..
Will you have Turkey for Thanksgiving?

looking forward to December..

Anonymous said...

Fantastic… always the food looks just delicious and the scenes of the sun rising and all the flowers. It’s so colorful !!
Question are you wearing the same shirt five years ? It looks similar. You have slimed down, looking good and healthy,!!
Loved your visit to Hollywood … also seeking your daughter, she is beautiful!!
I’ll be waiting for your next adventure..
Best Regards,
Becky