Sunday, April 2, 2023

PACK , PREPARE, AND DEPART....END OF MARCH: OAXACA TO ARIZONA

        This has been the longest stay since I discovered Oaxaca, almost 10 years ago, and I don't really want to leave but do want to see my family and friends I left behind.  

      My friend and fellow blogger, Eric, commented on my last blog about NOT putting toilet paper in the toilet.

"I just spent 3 weeks traveling around Mexico's Altiplano  -  Morelia, Queretaro, Guanajuato and Pátzcuaro.  Decided I needed to see other parts of the country. I was surprised that many of the areas have more modern plumbing and can handle....toilet paper." 

I just ask when I go to a place, what's the proper place." This is last post on his blog:  Click for: Purepecha New Year for your enjoyment...nice photos and travel blog! Thanks Eric for correcting my assumption. 
          I had breakfast at Casa Bestie last week. Small nice place.



Fresh Spinach and Goat Cheese Omelet, Pineapple Agua, Coffee and toast...I ate and didn't get a Gluten attack.
        Stopped in Casa Barro store loaded with spices, dried fruits, nuts, chocolates, and "Flavored Salts"  One was with Chocolate and Cinnamon? A real eye catcher was Red Wine flavored Salt! No lie.


 Photo of cloud formations from my kitchen window...strange objects in the sky?


Long time friend Connie was visiting Teotitlan and came in to town for lunch with me.  I hesitate to post this photo because I look like a dorky senior who doesn't know how to do a proper "selfie".


We did have a lovely Comida at Cabouche. She had Pozole Verde and I, the Mexican Abondigas (meatballs) with Salad. 



I visited my barber after for a long needed haircut.



I passed a Salsa dance class in the Zocalo on the way home.  My terrace was wet for the first real rain of the season.



The last blog I mentioned Voragine, a "fusion" of Mexican/Asian food that was interesting. I invited a friend who lives nearby and also never been there.  I arrived early and was not impressed but noted 2 Vietnamese cooks (I assume) who served my friend Curry Verde with noodles and I the Pad Thai with Chicken. Both turned out to be very good.  They are located on Republica, open at 2 and closed on Tuesday.


I arrived early and ordered a Gin and Tonic while waiting for my friend. More like a fruit salad with Tonic water.  The food was good but as usual...I was starved and forgot the photos again. I will return!
Walking back we passed another NEW family oriented restaurant, just up the street.


Lots of woodwork went into those tables and chair. Zoe can leave her cushion home though. All seats are comfortable.

Today I awaited Gaspar's, our property manager, appearance to collect the rent and listen to my pleas again! Finally he showed around 12:30.  I showed him again where the dog pissed this time because I don't have a gate to keep him out, and a photo of the bathroom light I want instead of one bulb. He wanted to know about how I proposed to pay the rent while gone two months. I told him two weeks early and two weeks late. He agreed while I added that I would like the ugly patio furniture removed and will get my own  outdoor dining room set and lounge...a double. He left, I had the best shower since I arrived, YES.
     Then I left to check out a restaurant Ian put on Facebook. While walking along, I pondered what I could and couldn't eat on an Italian Menu. Bread and Pasta were out for gluten but then...I have been good and would like to test it. 



I ordered Buratta Caprese and Mushroom Gnocchi.  Both were outstanding and served with a Warm Bread Muffin split 4 ways with olive oil drizzled over it.   I call it a muffin because of it's shape.  Good bread...I ate one quarter. 


The Buratta with Ripe Heritage Tomatoes and olive oil was perfect.  The Mushroom Gnocchi was Sauteed Fresh Mushrooms in a butter sauce with Parmesan mixed in with small blocks of Gnocchi pasta. Flavors were excellent and Mushroom were also.  The Gnocchi was chewy, and some were under cooked pasta. I will return after seeing the Spaghetti plate go out of the kitchen.  No problems with gluten or dairy...that I noticed. 



        This was St Patrick's Day but you wouldn't know it in Oaxaca.  Today was Good Samaritan Day where people, businesses, were giving away treats in the form of beverages, cookies, ice creams, while music was playing everywhere...so alive, friendly, open, smiling, happy people enjoying life, me especially.  My restaurant was giving out a Mock Sangria fruity drink that she offered and refilled later.  Then after paying the bill, I noticed a Gourd next to the Large Container of Sangria. It opened up to small bite size sugar nut cookies...nice touch. Love Good Samaritan day. 









Walking to the bus, two ladies eating ice cream cones invited me inside to pick my flavor.  I was full so declined, but when going through the Zocalo I did get it a short line for a beverage. 
       I turned the corner to the bus stop but the bus was not in use and empty.  I looked behind to see if any were coming and just leaned back to wait.  Then I noticed the traffic was slow and backed up. My bus has already passed but was stuck in traffic.  I started out to catch it but as I approached it took off. I ran to catch it.  I ran again.  I haven't ran in years because of the leg pain which has become less of an issue recently. I caught the bus but one and 1/3 lung is not 2. I was winded but felt good.  Testosterone Therapy.




One Good Samaritan Day a few years back, the beverage was spiked and my bus stopped with a crowd of really drunk people glass in hand,  boarded.  Everyone was friendly.


My lovely neighbor, Gabriela shared her freshly baked NON Gluten bread made with Almond flour and eggs.  I had toast with my eggs for breakfast. Then I invited her to dinner at Casa Celia in thanks. We ran into a large group preparing for another parade.  These were younger enthusiastic mostly teens. 










We arrived at Casa Celia and ordered some Mushroom and Shrimp Croquettes, a Carnitas tray with Olives, Pork with Figs and Veggies, Chicken Crepes and finished it off with a Chocolate Strawberry Tart with Espresso. 







We arrived home with Gabby's dogs greeting us and following us.
 


Chris, my friend who also left Phoenix, picked me up for a drive to his country house in St Agustine Etla to water his gardens and have lunch.  It was a beautiful day when we arrived.
  






We ate at a Mom and Pop shack along the road nearby, called Gordo y Gato or something like that. Tacos were in order for Lunch. I had 3 Shrimp and Octopus Tacos while Chris had 3 Pork Belly and Beef I think? These were Tacos that I really loved. Full of flavor and quality product.  




Monday afternoon I went for a walk to the Zocalo.  A large parade supporting the Indigenous people of Mexico on Benito Juarez's 150th Anniversary was impressive. Benito Juarez, the only indigenous President of a country in the world until Bolivia elected one a few years ago.  Benito was also the shortest President of any country in the history of the world.  Though he didn't like the Catholic Church because they robbed the people and sent the money to the Vatican, he married a Catholic but refused to enter the church.  They were married on the doorstep rather than at the alter.  





       I had a bowl of Chicken Vegetable soup and returned home.





      


                     Windows broken during Women's Day maybe?   


   ....and Benito Juarez at an exhibit honoring the anniversary.


Tuesday was Market Day in Reforma.  I took the bus and met my Canadian friend Ian.  We walked over to Latte/Raza Restaurant for Breakfast.




ALL MANGOES


OAXACAN CHEESE







DOG CAFE


YOUNG TEEN SELLING HIS "GUITAR" WALL HANGERS HE MADE.


                                                     IAN


                                                  HOME  
Gabby and I went to Fresh Comida Del la Mar for some Oysters and Octopus Tostadas. 
 
                                     
                                    Excellent lunch.....

Had another Salmon dinner at Tasty Vin last night.

..then after dominoes today another Steak Arachera at Santa Sabor with a new couple, Laura and Mark from Arkansas that are moving to Mexico. Laura joined our dominoes game.


                         Judi was smiling....she has a nice smile.


Laura and Mark


   
Pork for Tacos El Pastor. La Flamita Mixe is on Los Roses in Reforma.   Ian, another friend, supplied the photos. It is on my LIST!
Marc, my friend ask the owner about "how much pork goes on that a day". I asked the restaurant, they said 180 Kilos of meat, twice a day. It really is that huge.

Gabriela and I decided to eat out at Humar and say hi to Salma and Arnud. It was Friday and they were packed with "Reservations Only" so we went to Kitaro for a nice Ramen dinner.




Then we visited a collection of paper Kimonos people drew designs on then put on display.









 

The following day I left for dinner at Origin and passed a "Dog Show", two Weddings, then had a Mexican Corn on the Cob before arriving.






              Wimpy me passed on the Cayenne Pepper and sauce.


A complimentary "Treat" was served while waiting for a meal.  It was some sauce on top of another with a tiny flower? Then a Beet Salad that was outstanding and a Fresh Fish dish served on more  sauce (coffee/chocolate?) Fish was cooked to perfection and also very good...sauce was not necessary. My Modelo Dark Beer went well with the meal.





KIND OF LIKE BATMAN?


Bands and musicians were out on a beautiful Saturday evening.


Sunday was a very, very relaxing late afternoon and evening. Listening to music, sipping wine, and eating great Chicken Tamales.

Today I ventured out for Breakfast and wanted to try a new place.  I had a couple in mind to try but Tuesday some were closed so I stopped at the closest and discovered it very busy for late morning Tuesday...a good sign.  My Huevos Rancharo and Fresh Orange/Carrot Juice hit the spot...all for $6






Very good!!!  Will return...and give you the name . It is on the West side of Consatti Park.
        
I met "Deke", my previous Mgr of Fiallo for farewell lunch today at Terranova. We both leave within the week.  He returns late in the year and I return in two months.  It was nice. We have been acquaintances for over 8 years and friends for the last 3-4 of those years. I met Christina at Terranova also.  She is a friend of Porchia's and both are members of Democrats Abroad, like me. She is also looking for full time place to rent like Porchia, who rented my old place.

Chicken stuffed with Asparagus and Oaxaca Cheese


Deke opted for the Comida with a great Lentil Soup, Beef Steak (like a Swiss Steak) and he got dessert ...all for 1/2 of what I paid.  Both of us enjoyed our visit and our meal. Some art works were on display.




Mexican Drone disguised as a Dragonfly



I bought some coffee beans and returned home on the bus.

That evening, Gaby and I ate at Chepiche.  It was lovely evening. Friday and Saturday they will be having a great Latin group doing soft Jazzy Bosa Nova music and they are good. Starts at 6 pm. 


WATER SERVED WITH ONE LARGE ICE CUBE WITH HERB AND LEMON RIND IN THE ICE CUBE



GREAT FISH TACOS


AWESOME CEVICHE WITH COCONUT MILK ADDED TO THE LIME JUICE.  UNDER THE GREENS ARE CHUNKS OF FRESH WHITE FIRM FISH



UNUSUAL GELATIN CUSTARD WITH MEZCAL TO ZING IT

Today I rose early and out of my casa by 8:15 am heading for the library to do a small group tour to what I thought was the town of Atzompa, famous for it's pottery. It turned out to be the Archaeological site of Atzompa that was part of the Monte Alban site. Monte Alban being the more "elite" and Atzompa the quarry, workers, where many lived and worked. Seven thousand feet altitude and from where we parked...one hell of a climb.  We were not allowed to take photos or videos.  The site had 3 ball courts, one being the second largest in Mesoamerica. I was elated I hiked up to the summit with no pain.  I am ready to go hiking!  Out of breath...yeah.  Over 5 miles of walking today. 

             
          WALKING DOWN MY STREET


                        ARRIVED AT LLANO PARK



CHECKED INTO THE LIBRARY TO FIND THE MEETING POINT




CLOSEST...AND ONLY PHOTO OF THE START TO ATZOMPA




 Then we stopped at two ceramic shops...I was interested it dinnerware for my new place.














THIS LADY MOLDED A MERMAID WHILE TELLING A STORY THAT OUR GUIDE INTERPRETED



THIS IS THE END RESULT...READY FOR THE KILN





           I LIKED THIS ONE...THAT IS ME ON THE LEFT





When we returned I purchased some more back up Tamales from  La 
Reine de Las Tamales. The Queen of the Tamales. By the time I got home, I had walked 5 miles that day and slept well.

Next day Gaby and I went to her suggested Restaurante Ocote Cinco de Mayo 107.  I enjoyed the Arrachero Steak and Tacos Cochinita Pibil...both very good.

        
                   BLACK SALT ON MEZCALRITA





     GRILLED PLANTAINS ON BANANA BREAD & ICE CREAM



I picked out my seat when I booked the ticket last year.  Last month American Air changed my departure to the day before but didn't put in my seat and because it was last minute NO open seats were available so I paid $37 for a seat.  Then when I went to get boarding passes they did NOT have my seat but now had ONE open seat so I took it rather than pay again for a seat I thought I had?  Tomorrow I start my trip arguing for my money back or a better seat with leg room?  I have to pay because I have long legs.  I was born that way. We never had to pay years ago because every plane provided "leg room". Enough!
Next post might be the end of April...with another the end of May. I return May 30th.  Enjoy!
 

No comments: