Tuesday, February 14, 2023

FEBRUARY....OFF AND RUNNING

 Slow start to shortest Month of the year. I ended the last post with:

Returning through Llano park I watched the children learning to skate and some accomplished skaters practicing jumping the bar. (forgot photos)








One crashed and two others laid down with them in a show of comradery .  Another group was jogging around the park while others walking it.  Fun Tuesday....what are you children doing?

Friends write...coming to visit in October from Belgium and Italy.
Another friend sent some photos while visiting Argentina and Uruguay. 

She shared with me and I am sure wouldn't mind me sharing with other fellow or soon to be travelers...Time of her life. 70+ are the golden years! 

         The other day, Lee, my neighbor accompanied me to another return trip to our close and favorite Seafood Restaurant. "Fresh Comida del Mar", located at Juan Jose Alvarez 1415 in Barrio Xochimilco.   I had the Oysters again, he had a "Fishwich" and I finished with a Mexican Shrimp Cocktail. 


 
As we were returning home I stopped a newly opening Bakery. When you walk in, you are there with the Bakers and the ovens.  There is a counter where displayed goods are bought.



 
I bought this Whole Wheat Sourdough Loaf and a Raspberry and Blueberry Jam Tart.

The next day I joined my favorite couple for a game of dominos and won my first victory of 2023.  I was recommended to another Seafood restaurant that was close to me so that evening I walked over to try it but they were closed. 






I took some photos then ate a leftover half of a Cubano sandwich that had been in the refrigerator for 3 days...that didn't satisfy my hunger so I broke out the Sourdough.
         The Crisp Crust opened into a soft dense textured bread with intense flavor. Combine that with fresh ground Peanuts that spread crunchy style over warm Sour Dough as good as this... this is as good as it gets!
        At 2-3 am I woke up with diarrhea and a runny nose.  Neither subsided until 4-5 pm after alka seltzer, Exporiant, antacids...etc.  Slept on and off all afternoon and never left the house.  About 7:30 pm returning to bed dehydrated, couldn't think straight, forced some scrambled eggs with spinach down but the thought of food made me  nauseous.  That was all I ate for 36 hours until 10 am this morning.  
      Yesterday I thought I should get Covid test, I was food poisoned with the sandwich, or that big delicious sourdough bread with fresh crunchy peanut butter...tripped Celiac disease that I didn't know I had? 
      I Felt great once I was out walking and eating again...so no Covid...I am going to get a blood test for Gluten intolerance from Dr Z's office...and if that shows anything, a biopsy also. 
      It would explain my sudden weight loss over the last year and tingling in my hand.
      I was starved so tried a new restaurant for breakfast. They were busy and I ended up on the roof where it was quiet, fresh air, and comfortable. I ordered Fresh Orange Juice, a Mushroom and Goat cheese Omelet with a Croissant.  After received the order, I thought..more bread..bad idea..I had a little bite and left the rest..the Omelet and Salad that came with it were great.



Empedrado is just down from my seafood favorite on Juan Jose Alvarez in Barrio Xochimilco..I think around 1373 ?



I loved this mural...if the artist had not put glasses on the lady I would not have seen it...so subtle.  I had dinner at Casa Celia.  You must be getting sick of me apologizing for eating the food first and photos after.  I could blame it on "short term memory loss" but then I would be admitting to dementia. Mas o Menos 

 
Much better than it looks now...5 mussels, shrimp, fish, vegetables in a delicious sauce or gravy full of flavor. I wanted some bread to soak it up but NOW I have Celiac Disease and nothing with Gluten.  I used to quietly snicker when people would come into the restaurant requesting Gluten free.  Not any more. 


                  
These dancers caught my attention.

 
This young boy had everybody's attention with his bouncing, tapping his feet, laughter. shaking his arms in joy.

Today I watched Sunday Morning and will be leaving soon for Los Curtidores Bar and Restaurant in  Barrio Jalatlaco to listen to my nextdoor neighbor Vincent playing with the Geckoz, a local band for years.  My doctor is the drummer.  Vincent's father in law is my neighbor, Lee who lives below me.  He and his daughter will be accompanying me on our walk over shortly. 
  Packed crowd when we arrived. 


                                 Heather, Avis and Lee.


They brought out another table and chairs for us.  Zoey arrived with Pat and another old friend. Steve from Canada showed with his friends. Been a couple years since I've seen him. The band played good rock and roll as we sipped our drinks. I had a hamburg then left after the first set.  Noise and hearing disability do not go together.
 
    
                                       Zoey and Steve

      
                        Allen the pool player...amongst other things

         
                                           Dr Z and Vincent



     When I got outside, I ran into a couple that also just left...Steve and Ellen were visiting. He was an 80 year old pianist and she a younger photographer. He knew Western NY. They HomeSwap and have been traveling all over the world doing that. Something I wanted to do but no one wanted to come to Phoenix!
      I stopped at Llano Park to watch the dancers.  One gringo passerby joined the group and put in a weak effort then departed. Patience will be rewarded in the last 30 seconds of the video.
 

Today I am off for dinner with a new friend. Tasty Vin again...Salmon..fits my new Gluten free diet. Wrong. Closed. It is a holiday.  We met and choose another restaurant where I enjoyed a nice salad as did she. We parted friends and will see each other as such from time to time.
      
Tuesday and, since I wasted yesterday morning, I decided to do twice the work today.  I emptied my bathroom cabinet and sprayed it with toxic ant poison to rid myself of tiny little ants you can hardly see. I got my list and called a taxi to have breakfast.  As the waiter sat me down, I realized my phone was gone along with the taxi it was in.  Fell out of my pocket. 
      I took the bus home and got on my american phone but they had no record of my trip because I was calling from the other phone. NO english at all...so after an hour...I ran to Gabby's apartment , interrupted her lunch with a friend while she was sitting down to eat.  After a while she got through to a number, they contacted the taxi and he delivered it to me.  I double paid and tipped him to return me to my day and let me finish it.   
        I had my breakfast but too late for eggs Benedict.  This is now the 1-9 pm menu. I had French Toast to test the water. 


Two Slices of French Toast...BIG MISTAKE


FRESH GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

It was a good start on my day....finally.  I stopped at the ATM to back myself up then the AT&T store to check on my account.  He said it was what you bought it for...a Mexican Phone number...call North America for nothing.  I will get into my account and find out more. I took another taxi to save time and did my shopping to stock in Non Gluten food...me who just had French Toast for lack of other choices.
       I returned feeling I had a full day. Took a photo of the SUNSET.


Fixed some soup for the week and retired early.  Then my body responded to French Toast and I woke up in need of a shower, clean bed linen, and a toilet.  An hour and a half later I had the washer/dryer going, one bed stripped and another to initiate.  My new second bed was very comfortable but I woke again but this time IN time to make it to the bathroom. I took out one load of blanket and sheets and loaded the second sheet and mattress pad, then took a photo of the SUNRISE before returning to sleep until NOON. 


Corn Chex for breakfast, finished the laundry, remade both beds. Now off for biopsy and blood test. Dr Z referred me to a Gastroenterologist next door at the Sante Fe Clinic.  Dr Duran did a through interview and agreed to set me up for two procedures.  Long overdue Colonoscopy and a Endoscopy (biopsy of the colon). 
        That evening I patronized a restaurant XO..something.  It was only two doors down my street and only opened in the evening.  The Chef was going over recipes when I walked in. She was with her boyfriend(?) and promptly put on a smile and her Chef's coat. I was the only customer. 




FRESH VEGETABLES IN A CHICKEN CONSOMME


3 CHEESE IN WINE SAUCE ....EH!



 
ROOFTOP SEATING FOR 2



STILL HUNGRY, I TRIED A BANANA COVERED IN GOLD LEAF TART WITH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM  - EH

...A NO RETURNER...
 
     Helen, my good friend since 2006, when we met teaching Spanish in Spain, went out to lunch today.  She arrived yesterday, so we had a nice time catching up and showing her my place too.  We ate at HUMAR, just down a block from where she is living this time around.  Arnud and Salma were there to greet us.  They were glad to see her back again.  I had a lovely meal of Tuna Ceviche and Mexican Shrimp Cocktail while Helen enjoyed a couple of Shrimp Tacos and a salad.  All was excellent as usual. HUMAR is located on Matamoros 501. Helen agreed to be at the Clinic for the procedure and after to assist me with the doctor after and getting home.










I walked Helen home then on to my home while watching a ballet dancer posing for a photo shoot.



The next evening a returned to Kitaro, a place I have not been in a while.  Another wedding was in progress at the Santa Domingo.

              Nice Chicken Yakitori and California Roll with Wine.

Saturday I wandered to the Zocalo and ran into Steve and Frank.  I had seen Steve at the Concert but first time in 3 years to see Frank. We had a beer and were chatting and Zoey and Pat showed up to join us.  I love the Zocalo...especially now that the tents vendors are gone for good.   

Oaxacan Tuna were there but not the World Champions...they were younger and a new group or offshoot of the World Champions?

 
                   You never know what you are going to see.
We had a nice visit and I returned home.


I laid low on Super Bowl Sunday...in preparation for my procedure the next morning.  I had some homemade soup and fruit salad before my deadline at 3 pm...no more food.  At 6 pm the "GAME" was on in Spanish and I started my regimen drinking 4 liters, one per hour, of some mixture to cleanse your colon.  By the 3 liter and 9 pm I renamed Super Bowl Sunday...Super Bowel Sunday and moved to the bathroom.  I never did finish the last liter but went right to bed as soon as it was safe to do so.  The next morning I took a taxi to the clinic. 


I was amazed at the professionalism of the Clinic , Staff, and the Doctor.  I was in and out in 3 hours and don't remember a thing...no pain or uncomfortable feelings.  Nothing like I remember my first Colonoscopy. Helen was there to wish me well just before they put
me under and when I awoke to take notes on what the doctor explained.  He said I had some diviculous and showed me the photos they took.  He advised the diet I should be eating but nothing about the gluten as we won't have the results for 10 days.  Helen and I were both starving so went to Santa Sabor breakfast buffet that was delicious.  Later that evening I went to my seafood place for Ceviche and Oysters.



I thought you may be sick of photos of Oysters.

This morning I removed everything from the kitchen area and sprayed for tiny little ants...then left to go have breakfast of Huevos Rancheros at AM Cafe in Barrio Xochimilco.
It is Valentine's Day in the USA but in Mexico...it's Valentine's Day to be celebrated with the one you love OR/AND the friends you love.

I will go enjoy the evening...no plans.  I will pass this post on and wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day of love and friendship!







 




No comments: