Monday, March 11, 2019

MARCH IN OAXACA AND TEOTITLAN DE VALLE


       Friday I attended a lecture about a recent tour of Iran by a Oaxacan couple from NYC that had lived here for 20 years I think.  They have traveled every country except Antarctica and arranged a private tour of Iran last Fall with one tour guide and just the two of them for 21 days.  The lecture was interesting but sitting in the back and not being able to read any of the stats they projected on the screen in addition to the difficulty I had hearing the man speak...I left for coffee to take on my trip   

I BOUGHT A POUND OF FRESH GROUND ORGANIC 
     Then I headed for the bakery to have late lunch and pick up some Peanut Butter to also take on my trip.


        I finally managed to pack up a suitcase with some food and clothes for an extended stay at my Casita in Teotitlan that I'm sharing in 2019 with my friend Michelle.  I called Samuel, my new Taxi driver for a lift Saturday morning.  He was on time and dropped me at the door for 200 pesos...the going rate.   I gave him a 50 peso tip to insure his continued service.  We did have to use my GPS to get us through the last 1/2 kilometer maze of dirt roads on the side of the mountain....and through a herd of donkey, cows, and goats.




        Jose greeted me shortly after I found my way to the Casita and was unpacking.  There were a couple from Marin County California.  I knew her from when I stayed at Mariposa Hotel many years back.  She had continued her Seasonal migration to Oaxaca since then but hadn't seen her until today.  She is a weaver as is this whole village of Teotitlan.  Her friend was a birder and she brought along her daughter and grand daughter for a few days in the country.  
           They were all leaving to return to Oaxaca the next day, so I bummed a ride into the village to have lunch and stock up on some things I forgot.  I mostly wanted to get familiar with the village.  I just had a simple lunch, grabbed a sandwich to take back, did a little shopping at Peter's Place and took a Moto Taxi back.  










      When I arrived on Saturday the internet seemed to be working until I tried to get Netflix on her TV and then lost everything.  I spent most of the day and half of Sunday trying to fix it but discovered it was a DSL set-up with the phone lines so when I did get back on line it was a full signal but SLOW.  So slow I couldn't get on any bank sites or open any links on an existing site.   I did get to watch Blacklist on Netflix that night and read a LOT.
      






          Today is Monday and Bob invited me over to the patio for Fish Tacos at 5 pm along with Happy Hour.  I am going to pack up tomorrow and head back.  I will leave my suitcase with clothes and take the backpack.  When I return next week with Joan for a few days I will bring more to leave for another time. Joan will stay a week here before returning to Washington state.
        We had a great time with Tom and Rebecca visiting. Art and Susan that are residents there like me ...sorta.  Bob and Jose made some great Fish Tacos with Cole Slaw and Salsa...simple and good.  



           I packed up the backpack , caught the 11 am bus at the Market in the village and got off at Cherdaui in Oaxaca where I stocked up on things I noticed were needed at the Casita (wine) then took a taxi home. This week has been working on Taxes and planned Joan's stay.  Trying to get a ticket to the Ballet next week.  Had lunch at Belanc. 

       Went to Bill Pumpfreys lecture at the library on Mexico City...very well done.    Happy Hour after.
       I will meet Lynn and Kurt along with the gang at Belina tonight for Brats tonight then a big Happy Hour tomorrow to say goodbye to them.





TRIPE ANYONE?
     This morning the Mobile Organic Market showed up outside my window, like it does every Saturday Morning...stocked up eggs, beets, mangoes, avocados, and tomatoes.
ADELINA WITH THE HAIR DOWN TO HER BUTT

   

    
    There was a Ceremonial Dance preformed at the Santa Domingo while on the way to our gathering at Kurt and Lynn's.
     Gabriel was busy when I arrived at Berlina to meet up with "the gang" for a farewell dinner of Brats and Beer as good as any you will get in Berlin because Johanna is a Chef from Germany that prepares the Menu.  It was a crowded Saturday at Berlina and all of downtown Oaxaca.

      The seating was arranged on the rooftop where I saw one of our pool players and his wife just finishing their meal.  The last time I saw him he and his wife was having lunch at the Berlina...I suspect they are regular customers.  He chided me for not showing up to play pool so I promised I would be there Monday.
      I ordered a Mezcalini and took the seat at the head of the table for 9.  Kurt and Lynn arrived with Ginny and Helen following them.  While Kurt, who is also a pool player was talking about how the other guy beat everyone last week when he won 8 out of 9 games, David and Paulette arrived with their dog and the last couple John and something, we all ordered beer to go with our meal. 
     It was a nice meal and I took some sausage home for a breakfast omelette. David introduced himself on the way out.  He is from Cleveland and now lives in Oregon where his daughter and her husband opened an Organic Farm.  He and his wife Paulette keep a year round place in Oaxaca but come only in the winter.  They will start spending 5 months a year here next year.  John and his wife left with Paulette and the dog while David came with Lynn , Kurt, Helen, Ginny and myself for last call at the Zocalo.  It was a beautiful night with everyone out to enjoy themselves. 



       We lucked out with a place at Importador and all ordered a round of Don Julio Tequila.  Then another.  There was a Mexican man sitting near us that invited himself to join us.  His name was Ramon and he was visiting Oaxaca from Guadalajara.  He bought some flowers from a vendor for the ladies and showed us his Art work on his Apple phone.
He owned a Sex Shop and an Athletic Club as well as his art work and had lived in Barcelona for 3 months.  I gave him my card and he invited us to Guadalajara.  It was a nice time.

        Today was Sunday Morning with Jane Pauley.  Love that show.  Then I played on the computer and got set to attend Happy Hour at Lynn and Kurt's apartment with the same "gang" plus their landlord was going to play guitar for us.  He is very good.
       I arrived to a crowd of 12 , a table of great food and a view of Oaxaca from the roof.  I had a beer and then switched  to some really great artisianal Mezcal while socializing and nibbling my way around the Hummus, Guacamole, Cheeses and other snacks. The landlord was there but didn't play any music.  I left around 7 pm with Ginny and Helen to meet Halina, Barbara, and their Polish guest at another rooftop bar in Oaxaca.











        We arrived to a crowd that made room for us at the table and I noticed Barbara had a fancy large drink that looked refreshing.  It wasn't on the cocktail list but was a specialty of the house so I ordered one.  It arrived with 5 shot glasses with different alcohol in each and a bottle of beer.  The waiter mixed them in a specific order then topped off the glass with beer.  It was an excellent drink.  





 MEN'S ROOM

LADY'S ROOM

       We left there and returned home. 



 When I approached my corner, I heard music and noticed a religious procession coming down the street with some singing and chanting. 


      They stopped in front of my door while the priest recited something in Spanish then they moved on.  Another day in Oaxaca.



         

      This morning I left early to pickup some more coffee at the bakery then stopped at the pool hall to be beaten badly twice before I gave up. Kurt was there and informed me one of the couples that had also been drinking Mezcal, then switched to Gin had later indulged in some top grade Marijuana just before puking up everything and spending the night at Kurt and Lynn's. I left and went to the Zocalo to pick up my computer stand that Don made for me.  
       They were having a Wake on the anniversary of a friend's death.  Jason was a character that claimed he had worked for the CIA and was friends with the Saudi leaders that gave him a gold ring which he proudly wore.  His job was to train the soldiers in the use of the weapons they bought from us.  He was friends with Kay Preston who I knew well but don't remember him.  They each had silk shirts made with Cockroaches on them that they wore when together to parties and Happy Hours.  Zoe, was the keeper of the shirt.  It was her responsibility to wear the shirt in honor of Jason at this gathering.  Jan Merino, Jane Robison, Zoe, Pat and her husband Don were present to toast Jason.  I got to be the honorary "keeper" of the shirt and now had the right to call the next "Jason" Happy Hour get together.
ZOE IN COCKROACH SHIRT

        Joan arrives tomorrow, then Richard is coming in the following day.  Joan and I will be going out to the Casita in Teotitlan on Friday.  Then there is the Bolshoi Ballet at the Opera, more pool and dominoes....etc.   Oh and St Patrick's Day.  So I will close this blog and start another.

1 comment:

meditatingelephant said...

Great photos as always. The view of Oaxcana is beautiful. Mucho tequila, mezscal and cervas