Saturday, March 4, 2017

OPERA, JAZZ CONCERT, PHOTOS, SHROVE TUESDAY, DOMINOS..

    Well I did it again...bed late, lousy sleep, knew I'd fall asleep in the Opera, so stayed home.  That evening I went to Biznaga for dinner.

TRAVELERS I LOVE..LEFT PATAGONIA ARGENTINA 2005 ON THEIR WAY TO ALASKA...MARKED THEIR TRIP ON THE MAP ON THEIR BUS

WONDERFUL COUPLE..SELLING T-SHIRTS AN D PHOTOS FOR THEIR TRIP TO PAY FOR GAS AND FOOD.
 I choose the Pescadora Majo...Mahi in a roasted pepper sauce on a banana leaf with Rice.  Then an Apple Tart with Walnut Ice Cream...and Grand Marnier.

   It was a beautiful Saturday night with everyone out to have fun.  Stretch Limos, Weddings, firecrackers and rockets everywhere, Carnival in the street, Music coming out of every club...mostly great Jazz.


POOR ATTEMPT OF SELFIE WITH  PHONE...NO MORE PHONE PHOTOS.
      I got back early so stopped in the neighborhood store to purchase some shelving I had wanted for Pot and pan storage and a makeshift bedside table for the guest room.  It took me almost an hour to buy it...had to go to the warehouse and get it...then it was a higher price than stated...I paid it.  When I got home it took me an hour and a half to put this plastic piece of junk together...but it worked fine.


      Today I was out of the house just after 10 am (earliest in a month), caught my bus and was at Llano park in time to watch the DANCER DO THEIR EXERCISE.  It was a beautiful morning and quiet on the streets.



 A short fifteen minute walk and I was at the Organic Market. I got some fresh eggs, beets, tomatoes, cabbage and limes...too late for the Kale and goat cheese.
RELAXING AT THE MARKET

GREAT HOT CHOCOLATE

CHILDREN AT PLAY IN THE EMPTY FISH POND


MY PRODUCE DEALER AND BABY
I'll have to leave earlier next time.
DANCERS STILL AT IT

    I returned to the bus stop and the dancers in the park hadn't stopped in the last 40 minutes! I returned home to check on an ABC app that would allow me to watch the Oscars live so Helen and her friends could join me and bring dinner.  I got the app but ABC doesn't broadcast live to Mexico over the Internet.  Helen and I made a date for Tuesday dinner and Michelle and I made a date for Wednesday Lunch.
      I think I will join Richard at Casa Colonial Bed and Breakfast at 4 pm for an outdoor Jazz Concert. It was fantastic.  A five dollar admission to hear one of the best Jazz bands in all of Mexico. They are a mix and play extremely well together.   The GUITARIST...not the base.  Lots of friends there.  Some I haven't seen since last year.  Richard was hiding in the back so I joined him after the break
The Gitarist

GREAT SAX!

DRUMMER WITH MICHELLE (long time resident and asset of Oaxaca) and TADIO.
I had a Hamburger, Margarita and some wine.  I left and caught a taxi home.


         GREAT JAZZ SAX click here

      This morning I received an email from the manager that the compound was broken into last night and a ladder, bike and some tools were stolen.  They changed the locks but I think they just came over the wall and then opening the gate from the inside.  Now it is double-locked after 10 pm so if that happens again the perp will have to take everything back the way he came.
     I went to pick up the photos but it's Mexico...Manana.  So I working on my Google Photo albums all afternoon and are getting ready to venture out to the Zocalo to read and relax with some Vino Tinto. It is a beautiful Monday evening as I arrived at Importado to the welcome of three of some the best waiters in Oaxaca.  They, (work as a team) had me comfortable with a glass of water and my wine in short time.  I discovered my Canadian friend Darcy arrived back from his visit with his Mom about two days ago.  The report is he was struck by a car but didn't remember a thing.  I hope to see him soon.  I finally broke down and ordered a steak Medium Rare with Veggies and Potato.
 I ended up taking half of it home for breakfast.  The TV was showing an exercise class with Cindy Laufer singing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" . It was playing while I was pissing in the men's room. I saw her sing it at the Jockey Club in Phoenix in ...I think 1987!  Some male vocalist ought to sing ..Boys Just Want to Have Fun.
       I decided to take a Taxi so was passing through the Zocalo to the Taxi Stand when I encountered what I call the Zocalo Band  (click here) playing great music while the crowd danced.  I empathized with one dancer.  Says it all.

       The taxi charged me a premium rate for night but it was only 7:30 on Monday.  I questioned it politely but paid gladly...50 pesos $2.50 when we arrived at the gate.  My key no longer worked but Adriana was there to let me in and give me the new High Security Key.  If I want a back up made, I think it will cost me more than usual.  I gave her 4 extra plastic legs leftover from my shelving that I bought and instructed her to club anyone she didn't recognize that entered the compound and arm the others with the other 3.  We all got a good laugh.  It was another fantastic evening in Oaxaca.


Michelle, who is hosting an annual dinner party of about 40 people informed me she did have two openings if I wanted to invite someone.  I invited Helen and her visiting friend Ginny and they accepted so we will all be attending Saturday and this time (because of the heat) will be starting late in the afternoon so we get to see the glorious stars of Titotican de Valle.  Something I have been looking forward to.  Not the dinner...but to see the stars ...it has been over 15 years since I witnessed a Starry Night.
    I walked over to the Collectivo Garage for rides to San Martin.
 It was about a 10 minute wait before another Gringo showed up with the same destination in mind.  The driver took off and picked up one more passenger on the way.  We arrived in San Martin after about a half hour. The cost $1.25. Phil the other gringo is from Boston and owns a Folk Art store in Oaxaca, has a web site and sells Mexican Folk Art around the world. It is called Viva Oaxaca .
    There were a lot of guys that were painted up and dancing around the town with Masks on.STREET DANCERS  Many tourists too.







 Larry, the Hiking Leader was there with a group that just completed a short hike from another village to San Martin.
 Halina and Barbara were in the park by the Gazebo with other hikers just enjoying the fresh air.
 I saw Michelle with a tour group that came out for the afternoon.  We chatted a bit.  I wandered around the town visiting some of the shops. Almost everyone in the village carved these interesting creations out of Copal Wood.








 I stopped to visit Miguel Ortega Cruz at his home and shop.
MIGUEL BUSY AT WORK

HIS SHOP IN HIS HOUSE
 


SOME WERE POSING IN A MAKESHIFT PHOTO STUDIO

   Everyone was going to eat but it was hot and I saw another collectivo departing so hopped a ride and was home by 2:30 in time to get my Package delivered to my door by Amazon in Kentucky. Hangers for my Photos that I pick up this evening...I hope.  I could not get them in Oaxaca so for $4.50 postage Amazon delivered them from Kentucky to Oaxaca in less than a week.

    Now I am meeting Helen and Ginny for dinner in our neighborhood.
GINNY'S  SEAFOOD LINGUINI...NOT MUCH TO LOOK AT

NEITHER IS MY PASTA BALLS

I had the Gnocci with a nutty Creme Sauce.  It was good but just balls of pasta...Helen's Spaghetti is what I would order next time, the photo I took didn't come out though.  It was nice eating out on their garden patio.
     I had a back up key made and picked up my completed photos that are now ready to hang.

     This morning I hung half of the photos.  So easy.  One was crooked but I could easily separate the Velcro and realign it.  I left to meet Michelle at Biznaga for lunch but half way there I realized I left the money that Helen and Ginny gave me for our outing to Michelle's on Saturday.
      I returned and got it then hopped back on the bus.   On the way over to the restaurant, I saw the Bichon Bus from Patagonia Argentina still parked in the same spot while selling T Shirts and a Photo Book of their trip.  Mantu, the husband explained the money they make goes for gas and maintenance which right now the bus needed before they could move on to their ultimate destination...Alaska.  They left in 2005 so it has been 11 years to get to Oaxaca but Mantu said they have been taking their time and enjoying the people they meet and the experiences along the way.  The book documented Mantu, his wife and their child's journey.  I bought it for $25.  Beautiful Photography and their story in English and Spanish.  Wonderful family.

        Michelle arrived just after I did and we had a wonderful lunch and conversation for over 2 hours before returning home.

MARGARITA , MESCAL, PAPAYA JUICE, SOUP...AND SPARE RIBS ON THE WAY.

     Today I'm off to try and take my second win in our dominoes tournament at the library, I ended in Second Place so not too bad.
 I met Darcy with his sister Pat and her boyfriend Don that made my furniture.  Zooey, an acquaintance for years had joined them.  I see her travels on Facebook.  She was in Hanoi and Southeast Asia this fall.  Her son was over there in Pattaya. Darcy just returned from Canada and had my "Waffles" for me.  I bought them a beer, paid Darcy and returned home.



      Today  I left for the Llano Market to pick up some tomatoes and fruit.  I'm am making a soup this weekend.  Finally finished my Lentil soup.  This new soup, burns more calories digesting it then are in it, so the more you eat the more you lose.
       I stopped into the bakery to have lunch.  I ordered the Shoku-Iku...Fresh Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic and Pepper...simmered then Eggs on top...so good.

Their bread will be the death of me.  So good...all that they bake...


CORN MUSHROOMS....A FUNGUS THAT GROWS ON THE CORN..VERY HEALTHY...THEY PUT IT IN ONE
OF THE BREADS THEY MAKE.

I got back just as Adelina was finishing cleaning and spent the evening home.

             Today is Michelle's Dinner party.  I bused out to Walmart and did my weekly shopping.  I'll make soup tomorrow.  Almost time to go.

No comments: