Tuesday, January 17, 2023

23 - 1 JANUARY BEGINS THE NEW YEAR AS CHRISTMAS FADES

 The New Year got off to a good start with a lunch at Popular, a nice Mexican restaurant with reasonable prices and a mix of popular dishes to chose from.


Nice condiments for our Tacos and Pozole...gone before I remembered my camera.    


The first day of the new year, the streets were empty and most places closed.  I paid a visit to say bye-bye to my Oaxacan home of 7 years on Fiallo.  










I took my laptop to La Noria Hotel's Coffee Shop so I could connect to the internet and have breakfast.



Nice Mushroom and Spinach Omelet


Carol and I decided to start our New Year with a New Experience...Chanting.  We met on a rooftop with our Host Mary introducing us to the regular chanters and a brief intro for us newbies.  One lady started us off with 4 different Sanskrit chants...each with it's own meaning. After, Mary playing music while singing a series of other chants.  The sunset gave way to the night and we left to walk through Jalatlaco.








Take a close look at these "Christmas" lights




New Year's Mass...all praying...Lord help us through another year!
Some of my Great Grandchildren in Buffalo enjoyed a Train Ride with Mr and Mrs. Claus.



Spinach Soup


Salad



We choose to visit Vino and Vinyl's new location for dinner.  I had the Pasta...but ate it before photo. All the albums are arranged in alphabetical order.  You pick the one you want played then give it with your order to the waitress and she plays it while delivering your dinner.  Different and fun.  Some prefer "Heavy Metal"..not good for digestion.

      Chris stopped by in the morning to see my new place.  We walked to AM, a popular place I had never heard of that was close.







Unfortunately the cook was "in the weeds" and we waited an hour for our order that we promptly devoured...again before photos.
     Later Carol and I decided to return to Te Amo Oaxaca, a pleasant rooftop casual Mexican "bistro" style restaurant with a limited menu of tasty Tacos, Tamales, Tostadas with excellent Desserts accompanied by Mescal Cocktails.










Tamale wrapped in Banana Leaf, Mole, & Oaxacan Cheese


                               Chicken Tikki Tostada with Guacamole



Big commotion going on down below us...so we discovered it was
a "Staged" film shoot to promote Oaxaca's festive lifestyle.














...with FIREWORKS!!

I hung out around the house after breakfast. Late afternoon I took a walk to Del Jardin for a Cubano Sandwich before returning and calling it a day.


     A recent find...nois Pastisserie...I returned later to try the treats.

Men's Breakfast, a chance for us to discuss manly things...or poetry, is held at different place, once a month. This morning it was Levadura.  The restaurant features Atole...a traditional drink made from Corn with water or milk.  Different corn, spices, nuts, coconut, etc all are blended and served like as a drink with other breakfast traditional dishes that few of us Gringos ever heard of.  We all had separate checks and a few orders got mixed up as we really weren't even sure what we received is what we ordered because it was a first time for most of us. In general we were all satisfied and pleased.





Chef, calling orders to the cooks


       
John and Marc trying to figure out what they just ordered.


   
I thought this was my order but discovered later, it was John's. Very good "like beef stew with scrambled eggs"


               
  Tacos made to order from Masa dough.


HERITAGE TOMATOES





Later, after a grueling bout of Mexican Dominoes at the Library with Marc, Judi, Carol and myself, we went to another NEW Oaxacan restaurant that featured Mexican Oaxaca food.  




           Grilled Fish Tacos for me.... and Ceviche for Marc


                    
               After New Year the children each get a Gift

I stopped into Nois to try some pastries.



                            Chocolate Scone with Espresso 

I returned home with a couple of Pastries to go...$6.00 each! Is this Paris?  They were good BUT not that good.

Today I met with German, my lawyer, to register my new address with Immigration.  I got there early so walked into the Cathedral across the street from Immigration to enjoy the serenity. 


Ah..the Confessional. To be a fly on the wall. I think some become Priests just for that???  Every Catholic has a story about sharing their secrets.





Out of Salvation and into Immigration,
for some they mean the same.  I encountered a Venezuelan
asking for food money on his way to the USA. Oaxaca is a BIG Gateway.
 


German was waiting for me as we passed a woman (in an apron) sweeping the public sidewalk in front of Immigration.  I was in and out in less than an hour.  $125 to change my address...I could do it myself IF I spoke Spanish.
              I returned to La Noria Hotel to work on my computer and have a great breakfast. 

MATCHA LATTE WITH GRANOLA FRUIT BOWL

Then off to win 3 out of 4 pool games at Liverpool Pool Hall. Surprised myself!
              
                                      Allen at his best!

I took the afternoon and walked around the Zocalo before meeting Carol for our 4 pm Casa Celia Comida.




                                    SAYS IT ALL


                               EGGPLANT SALAD 

                       
                     MAR (SHRIMP) MONTANA (CHICKEN)



                   Really good Brownie and Apple Crisp

My favorite start of the morning...Eggs Benedict...at Pan Am.



Later that afternoon, Carol and I dined at Berlina to get our German Sausage Fix.

TRAVELING IS LIVING



CHRISTMAS TREE MADE OF CORN HUSKS
WON'T BE THERE MUCH LONGER



          SAME FOR THE THURINGER AND BRATWURST

            
OUR VIEW FROM THE DINING TERRACE TABLE





                            HOW IS YOUR EYESIGHT....

   
I AM UP FOR A CHALLENGER.  GOT MY PADDLE BUT HAVEN'T FOUND A TABLE!

I had a follow up appointment with my Cardiovascular Surgeon today.  Took a taxi there then after a good bill of health and new script I bussed it to the Pharmacy, stopped by a little joint for lunch then bussed it home.

CHICKEN LEG WITH VEGGIES AND RICE...DELICIOUS $3.50



This evening I took the bus across the street toward the Zocalo then walked over to the street I lived on but a mile from where my casa is.
I went to Boulanc Bakery, bought some bread for home then went to the terrace over the bar and had a Pizza with some wine. Then took the bus outside the door to my front door.  I like walking but not UPHILL so this is great.  I later finished the delicious pizza while watching Seinfeld



I love Boulanc's creativity.  A branch off a tree with attached bulbs covered with opaque material and just hung from the ceiling. Two classy Mexican brothers trained in Spain and France. That is what I heard.  I've met them years ago when they baked the bread at home and carried it around the street selling it.  It was so good...after 5 (?) years of doing this, they could retire with the bakery, restaurant, bar and rooms to rent for visitors...supporting them.

Thursday morning we sit down at the library rooftop for Mexican Dominoes.  I lost again but enjoyed it. After we all had Comida at Santa Sabor.  I had a lovely Chicken and Rice lunch for $6 includes tip.



Today Carol and I visited Humar, Arnud and Salma's creation that we have been going to since they branch out of their first venture, Las Ramblas and got a larger place to expand their concept.  Good quality food specializing in seafood, and at a reasonable price. I had Mussels with garlic and white wine with a Hamburger while Carol enjoyed the Seafood Cocktail with Shrimp and Octopus. I enjoyed my Margarita and Carol, her Mojito.  She split a Creme Brulee that Salma created that was rich with cream and outstanding flavor.  Humar is located on Matamores and we highly recommend it.






         We walked back, while stopping at Art of Oaxaca then the last day of a flower show that was incredible.  I couldn't imagine it when they first created it three days ago but it was still fresh and arranged to blend with this 500 year old beautiful building that is now an "event" show place. 





























We had to stop for a "Cocktail" at Destilado...best bar in Oaxaca and also one of the best Restaurants. 


We have a different drink each visit and are always pleasantly surprised.  This drink is called "Wonder Chambers".  My pink drink was call La A ....something and was a Gin base with Raspberry...and so much more.  I walked home.






Saturday the Library hosted an Open House around 4 pm with Hor-d'oeuves...Tapas...an excellent presentation of a variety of different small dishes with an Open Bar to compliment it.
...and lovely music.  

Today I woke to a wonderful sunrise.

Just had my washer and dryer fixed and now awaiting installation of my fiber optic Internet connection.  I will close this first post of 2023!  I wish you a great year.   Love david

No comments: