Friday, December 2, 2022

THANKSGIVING IN OAXACA WITH VISIT FROM MY DAUGHTER

      Yesterday Carol and I had Breakfast just down the street while planning our visit with my Daughter Heather and her partner Allen. I tried their Eggs Benedict with a thin strong lemony sauce.  They tried but missed the mark. Carols Fruit smoothie Bowl looked great.

    That afternoon we stopped at Terranova for the Comida.  It was Friday so had Salmon on the menu which was a pleasant surprise.  The appetizer was a Tuna Salad in a Half of an Avocado. 




I forgot to show you the Salmon and almost didn't get the Tuna Salad, both were delicious.  

   Saturday we had lunch at Del Jardin while getting a couple sandwiches to have available for our arriving guests in case they were a bit hungry. Carol had the Chicken Soup and I enjoyed a Chicken Club Sandwich with Russian Salad.


The day after I posted this, Western New York got one their "Gigantic Snow Storms" so maybe it wasn't funny ...kinda made me wish I was there.   



     Last night I greeted my daughter and Allen when they arrived at my Fiallo front Gate after flying in from Los Angeles via Tijuana.  It was great to see them in Oaxaca.  I had some food and snacks to make their stay comfortable while I stayed at my new home at La Resolana. They will stay a week as both have businesses to run and teen children attend to.

       We put together a rough schedule of options for them to choose from depending on their interests and plans.  Heather will have lunch with me on Tuesday and a massage with Eliz on Friday. 

    They did decide to take a cooking lesson from Vicky who lives in Atzompa and takes them to the Abastos Market to shop for their meal then to her home to prepare and eat it.

     I gave them keys and information on living at Fiallo after introducing them to my landlords then left them to unpack. 

     This morning they were leaving to meet us for breakfast when Pinky, the dog, bit Allen on the ankle as he was just stepping out the gate.  Some Welcome! He was in good spirits if not pain? 







We decided to visit the Zocala since this was Mexican Independence Day, we thought we might see some event. Last night was the big hoopla with a huge stage and top entertainment with lots of NOISE. I must be getting old.  Today wasn't as active so we visited the Santa Domingo Basilica then on to the Cathedral near the Zocalo.  


                       Heather taking a photo of Allen...or video.



Allen and Heather went off to the Markets and then home.  I headed back to Reforma and on the way encountered a band getting ready to play. I was tired and took a taxi home.





Today I enjoyed my monthly massage by Eliz.  Such a great way to start the day.  I had breakfast after at La Ciela, one of my old standby Mexican Restaurants.  Had a nice Omelet with fresh Spinach, Mushrooms and Oaxacan Cheese and a Green Juice.


I tried to connect with Carol to join me and visit before returning to 
La Resolana...but we had a mix up between What's App, Texting, Email and Calling....she sent me this..



Tuesday, Heather and I met for dinner at Danzantes.  I enjoy "our" time to just be Dad and daughter.  We had a nice lunch starting with a Beet Salad then she had Coconut Shrimp while I had the Fish "Mahi" of the day.








 


     Wednesday they took a cooking class.  I have her photos so will share them. Vicky, the chef instructor took them to the Abastos market to purchase the ingredients for the preparation of their lunch.
The Abastos Market is the largest in all of Oaxaca. They toured around while buying the ingredients for their "from scratch" Oaxacan meal.  They arrived at  Vicky's home where she grew up. She put them to work soaking the dry corn kernels in lime to grind later to make tacos.  They made a mole (sauce with a chocolate base, nuts, cinnamon, spices, chilies,and whatever the chef wanted to put in).  They made salsa for the tacos and a soup, which looks great. It was certainly more than a cooking lesson.  I highly recommend it if you visit us.

















                     
                                SQUASH BLOSSOMS 









It is Thanksgiving...wishing you all a Happy one!  We will be visiting a museum and then have dinner being delivered this afternoon at Carol's home.

      We met at the Archaeological Museum at Noon.  Famous for artifacts from Tombs and World Heritage sites in and around Oaxaca.  Pre Spanish..before 1500 is my favorite...once the Spaniards arrived it was to conquer all of central and South America and most of North America.  The Museum had a line out the door and we waited a half hour but no one told us 90% of it was still closed due to Covid.  It was nice to be in such a beautiful place that was where the Monks lived attached to the Santa Domingo Cathedral. 

























             We went back to Carol's apartment to wait for our delivery.  
             Our Thanksgiving dinners finally arrived to 4 starving adults who promptly sat down at the table and devoured it all in about 20 minutes...and forgot to take photos.  I can assure you it looked and tasted like yours...except....no leftovers!!!

The last day we met for breakfast at Pan Am, then Heather left for her massage.  We walked over to show them an ATM where they could get some more pesos.  We did a short tour of the Convent that is now an upscale hotel in Oaxaca Center.







THIS IS WHERE THE NUNS DID THEIR LAUNDRY

The students at the School of Architecture removed the wall they built from colored pyramids and hung them to make a Christmas Tree.  



  
Heather had a wonderful massage then met Allen and joined us
at Carols for a dinner at Casa Ceila for a last meal.  Heather treated for my belated birthday dinner.




We all went home...


                             Love the Candy Cane Christmas Tree




     Another great visit...unfortunately I didn't know there was a new padlock on the gate that gets locked before bed.   They had to wake Lulu to come out and open it but Feleciano...the steadfast taxi driver who assured Deke that he would be there at 5 am as usual...wasn't.  Lulu the landlord was and called another taxi to take them on time to the airport.   
        I got a treat when a few days later visited the Fiallo condo to sort out more stuff. I found the apartment I want to live in, signed the lease and will be moving in soon.  I was emptying the refrigerator and discover a kilo of chocolate paste , leftover Tenderloin Steak and a Fruit/Custard Tart ...I ate the tart and steak.  Took the chocolate home and had hot chocolate.  All was delicious...thanks and come visit again!! 
        I will close for this month and look forward to showing you my new apartment and Christmas in Oaxaca!  P.S. You all are welcome to visit too!










  

 


No comments: