Sunday, January 2, 2022

21 - 12 CHRISTMAS AND THE NEW YEAR 2022 - A NEW LIFE

 I missed the first dominoes game at the library that Richard had initiated the week before.  I had a Zoom conference with my Urologist in Scottsdale.  Richard started the seasonal games about 5 years ago at the Oaxacan Library and introduced it to me one evening with his friends in San Miguel de Allende.  


         I was hooked and bought Mexican Dominoes for my grandchildren, my condo in Scottsdale, my apartment in Oaxaca and donated an extra set to the Library along with "racks to put your dominoes" that I picked up at a Mesa, Az flea market.                 Carol played her first game last week and won.  I was excited but my excitement soon dwindled when after about the fourth round I was so far behind I lost my enthusiasm.  I hadn't played in 2 years and Carol, the newbie won another victory!

       I left with my tail between my legs.  We passed Mariposa Hotel where a sculptor was adding the finishing touches to his  Radish Festival Display.



    When there was no Covid, all the competing sculptors displayed their creations in a circle around the Zocalo and ramps were constructed for visitors to walk on while viewing the Art works. Prizes were awarded.


 Last year it was cancelled because of C0vid, but this year they placed the Displays in various hotels around the city because the Sanitation workers were on strike due to the former Governor of Oaxaca absconded with their Christmas bonus.

     Christmas Eve, Cheri, my Oaxacan neighbor and I attended an intimate dinner party at Carol's apartment.  Her daughter Becky and husband Tyler were visiting for a week from Texas. La Rambla prepared a fantastic dinner of Roast Pork Loin stuffed with a Spinach/Nut dressing , Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Salad and Apple Strudel for dessert. The meal was OUTSTANDING!! La Ramble serves fantastic food and is relocating to a new place of their own on Abasolo between Pino Suarez and Benito Juarez. I highly recommend Salma and Arnud's creative menu and specials. 

      Cheri and I walked back home to discover a Tent in our parking Lot that was set up for Christmas Eve gathering of our Landlord's family and friends with food and music to celebrate.

      
      I slept through the festivities but Cheri managed a bowl of Menudo and a photo of the Clan.


     Christmas morning I had leftover Apple Strudel from our dinner the night before.


That afternoon, Cheri and I left our family, still celebrating, to attend our Christmas dinner at Carol's with her family and more friends.

   We arrived just as Carol was leaving to pick up our dinner from La Rambla.  

    
     Guests arrived and Carol set the table while David poured the wine.







         The food was laid out for the taking and plates filled, conversation, laughter and camaraderie commenced.

MASHED POTATOES WITH  BACON     ROAST TURKEY



MOIST DELICIOUS COCONUT CAKE


It was a lovely evening so we adjourned to the Patio for pleasant after dinner conversation and more laughter.  It was a great evening .

        Sunday afternoon we went to Tres Bistro for Dinner.  Oysters started off with Beef Wellington for me and Salmon for the rest of us.  We shared a Chocolate Cake and headed home.
I stopped to pay my respects to Jesus.








               Monday Tyler and I met for Pool with the gang , then met the ladies for lunch.


        Off to the library to meet Peter,  for Lunch.  Another friend I haven't seen in 2 years.  His friend Avi joined us at a new place Peter suggested.  It was a combination Oaxaca de en Taz with pastries  and coffee and a restaurant for Breakfast, Lunch and light dinners until late with a roof top dining area.  We had the "Comida" but the Vegetarian Lasagna was cancelled so we settled for the Chicken Parmesan that was satisfactory. Avi had a 4 small beef street tacos. We enjoyed it and I would go back. Very pleasant atmosphere.


















       
        Our planned food tour with "Oaxaca Eats" took off on schedule from our meeting point in front of Santa Domingo. 



 Christina a happy transplant from Austria was our eclectic, informative guide who entertained us the entire afternoon sharing her knowledge of the restaurants we visited as well as bit about Oaxaca.  
         Our first event was La Casa del Tio Guero.  Noted for it's Chile Nogada which is what we were served on the Roof top overlooking the valley. 




I confess, my first ever Chile Nogada was at this very same restaurant around 6 years prior.  It was the reason I sought out La Casa del Tio Guero and I wasn't disappointed them nor today.





       Next was in Carol's neighborhood; Tierra del Sol , featuring Mixteca cuisine from where the chef grew up tutoring under the wing of her grandmother and mother.  Tierra del Sol expanded about two or three years ago taking more space to include a bakery and a roof top bar and dining room.  We were served 6 different food and drink selections that were all unique and tasty. Starting with Tetelita, a refreshing combo of flavors to drink and a Homemade salsa that we selected some of the ingredients according to our preferences.


  That was followed by Huachimole with pork, Mole Mixteco ,Mole Blanco and Mezcal sample to end our tasting there.




 
            We walked to the new location of Levadura de Olla, a fairly new restaurant that got NY Times reviews and had to find a larger location quick. 


Realtors are doing a booming business in Oaxaca.


Agua de maiz chilled and deliciously refreshing.  Never thought of drinking corn. Then their signature Tomato salad with a vinaigrette with beet puree. 

The Tamal de requeson with Mole Negro y Mole Coloradito was excellent.


     Our final destination was Casa Taviche was a hidden gem.  I walked by the place so many times living in La Noria that I thought I had been there but would have remembered had I.
     We had a Mezcal with two Chef's Surprise appetizers. 



Both unique and very good.  A fantastic dessert with Hot Chocolate.


Great end to a wonderful tour.

      Thursday is Dominoes Day and Richard was dutifully waiting for me at a ready to go table all set.  Sylvia came the same time Terry showed up, so we began a game of double 9's with only four players.  The game was over in just over an hour. Everyone wanted to play another but I left and took the bus to Sam's Club
to purchase my second set of sheets so the maid would have sheets to put on the bed when she cleaned my condo.  She does a good job and is an excellent worker. 
           When I arrived the door checker was spraying my cart and asked me something but I didn't understand so she repeated it.  I thought she wanted me to take my hat off?  She wanted to see my Sam's Club Card.  Then after we laughed and I went in I realized she left the spray bottle in my cart.  I found her looking around for it when I handed it to her.  Two laughs in a short time.  
         I found what I wanted,  picked up some smoked salmon and wine then cashed out.   They sealed the parking lot so now you have to go out to the street to catch a taxi.  I did and was home by 2:30 so ran across the street and picked up some onions from the Mom and Pop store.  Finally I got to saute onions, garlic, and spinach to top off my vegetable bean soup.
     It was time to meet Carol and the clan for dinner at Kintaro.



We walked over and arrived on time for our reservation and were seated immediately.  It was another wonderful meal with 4 appetizers to share, Japanese Curry Beef for Tyler and me and Ramen for the ladies.  A little wine and decadent desserts. 


Becky was nice and picked up our tab, a pleasant generous treat.

        Today is Norma's Birthday and we are all taking a taxi out to Teotitlan to share the celebration at her home. 






        When we arrived, Norma was busy fussing in the kitchen being here creative self. We all made ourselves at home and settled with a beer as guests started arriving. 






When everyone was there, Norma passed around a mildly spicy nice broth to wet the appetite.  After she Greeted everyone, thanked them for coming to celebrate her Birthday and the New Year. 



We then did the buffet she set up which consisted of a Fresh Vegetable Salad , Sweet Potatoes and with three different baskets of Tamales which her neighbors and friends prepared to contribute. A nice communal homemade meal with salsas, beer, and mescal for sure.  We took a little walk.   





Everyone had a wonderful time and by sunset bid goodbye.  
         We had a taxi take us to our hotel where we were greeted by Dimitro who showed us to our rooms and when I requested brought a bottle of Mezcal for us to celebrate the New Year.  He dimmed the lights so we could sit on the patio and watch the stars.  We were all tired and around 8:30 were ready for bed.  We decided to find out where it was Midnight yet while it was 9 pm in Mexico.  Greenland came up so at 9 we celebrated the New Year with Greenland and retired for the night. 

I was told fireworks went for 2 hours with some coming in to our courtyard.  I sleep till 8:30.
        Norma came over and joined us for breakfast. Dimitro showed Becky,Tyler and me about dyes they used then showed the rugs he had for sale while I joined the ladies. 









I thought we were going back to Oaxaca with a stop or two to look at some textiles our visitors wanted to buy. 


I too was looking for a blanket. We did more than that with stops at another Weaver, Arturo , where I bought my blanket, then to Mitla for a visit to a doll maker and an antique shop.  Then we returned to Teotitlan to visit another Weaver where Becky and Tyler found what they wanted and bought it.  
















      We had lunch at Sierra Antiqua which we were all ready for.  Norma took us to Tule where we could find a Taxi to take us the rest of the ride home.  It was a long but nice day and a great weekend.

        My complex had the Tent up again and had a party.  I went right to bed and rose to watch Sunday Morning and make some pancakes.  Later that afternoon I taxied to Carols to meet the crew for dinner at El Morocco ...a very nice restaurant with great food.  I had Cous Cous El Morocco with a lamb shank, veggies, and a nice Tamarind Sauce. The ladies had the Musaka We had wine and a Goat Cheese Cake and Becky and Tyler had a Chocolate Cake.  The whole meal was excellent.









      Monday Carol picks me up in a taxi to meet Marc and his wife who just arrived back in Oaxaca from Chatham Mass via Florida, for dinner at Oaxacalifornia.   
      I checked my bank account to see if my $4300 rent check, deposit and cleaning fee were in the account.  Last time they weren't so my Real Estate Agent Stephanie with have some leg work and paperwork to settle this ASAP. 

That will be another post.  Well it's been a great last week.

1 comment:

Carolina said...

A wonderful week and a special farewell to 2021 and a great welcome to 2022. I’m happy to have shared these adventures with you. Carol