Saturday, October 9, 2021

STILL IN OAXACA ....

Monday I had scheduled my first game of pool since I arrived.  I was at Liverpool Hall a bit early to practice some. My stick was in a locker and I had left the key with Allen, our pool "organizer".  He showed up after I beat myself 3 times.  Very rusty.  I haven't played since the last time I was in this pool hall.  Allen gave me back my key and access to my Q Stick.  I shot a bit better against Miguel but lost with one ball left on the table.  Later Allen beat me.  It felt good and it was great to see them both again.



Tuesday the Maid shooed me out to clean while I visited Antonieta's Muss CafĂ© for the first time since I've been back.  It was nice but has very limited seating. I had my usual Avocado Toast and a great Cappuccino.  Also noticed a familiar artist painting of the storefront. I can't wait to visit his gallery.







Today it's Kintaro Japanese with Carol, Joanie, and Doug. 



This is a first and I already have my Ramen picked out.  We had a wonderful meal.  I had my first cold Ramen. 



Doug had the Tan Tan Ramen.



Joanie had a Salmon Salad she said was delicious.



Carol opted for Fried Rice with Chicken I think...she also enjoyed it as we all did.



A bottle of  Sake was shared by all.  We finished the meal with outstanding desserts.
Fried Ice Cream with Chocolate sauce.


Lychee Sorbet  

Macha Mousse with Berry Coulis

The last tenant was Istanbul, a Night Club Bar and Restaurant.  We took a brief tour before leaving.  The Bar area still had the Istanbul murals on the walls.











        
...and off for home.




Tomorrow is Sushi Saikou in San Felipe with Annalisa and Barb.   I arrived a little early and discovered Capitan Seafood Restaurant and Meerkat Mercado around the corner. 
 








I went in to check the menu and get a table for us.  We had the whole place to ourselves the entire time.






The waiter set up a nice round table on the patio and Annalisa started off with Dorado I believe.  So good she had two orders.  



I had a Seafood Combination on Sticky Rice...very good.  Barb had a Sushi Roll she thought was very good. We enjoyed catching up on the last couple years since we've seen each other while sipping a pitcher of Lemonada.  Annalisa gave me a lift to the bus stop in her new car.  It is official, she is now a motorist instead of a pedestrian.



I passed what appeared to be a very upscale BBQ Restaurant that features Goat?
 

Bridgette Juarez , wife of Benito Juarez (I think) who was the famous former President of Mexico in the mid 1800's.  He holds the record for being the shortest President in the world as well as being an Indigenous President.



Friday and another dinner at Kintaro!  This time with my dear friend Zoe.



                             Zoe had appetizers after we shared a Gyoza that she liked.


I had a Pork Dish on Sticky Rice which I enjoyed.  We had wine with the meal then desserts with Japanese Whisky. 



She had the Matcha Mousse and I had Coffee Gelatin on Ice Cream when a huge Thunderclap shook us and the whole restaurant up...followed by a torrential downpour.  Most customers left us to wait out the rain while the crew tried to keep 
the water off the floors.








Zoe has some Mexican Guests staying at her "hostel" home outside of Oaxaca.  One was doing a Poetry Book Promotion for his recently published work.  He was doing a reading not far away so we sauntered over as the rain subsided to the Alcala to listen to his talk and buy his book.  He started shortly after we were seated while Zoe tried to get him to sit up straight and speak forcibly.  He ignored her and did quite well with some nervous laughter as he went on to finish with a round of applause.  I left for home while Zoe stayed to say hello and maybe give him a ride back? 






 






It was Friday the First of October in Oaxaca and the streets were filling up with more Gringos and Mexican tourists.  It appeared that some Covid restrictions have been relaxed. Street Musicians were back.  Churches were holding Mass. It was exciting to think it was getting back to normal.








My phone started ringing when I was taking a photo of the Tattoo Parlor.  It was my 95 year old buddy from Denver letting me know they were leaving for winter in Phoenix and would see me when I got back!   Life if GOOD. 
End of this post.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post David, look forward to visiting some of those restaurants when I arrive in December

Best,

Richard