Monday, February 11, 2019

FEBRUARY IN MAGICAL OAXACA

           Today I am off to the Market with a lovely Husband and Wife team that established a small restaurant called La Rambla...Antojeria del Mar    that features Fresh Seafood.

VALENTINES IN OAXACA ABOUT FRIENDS!

SALINA

LOVE THE HUMBOLDT T-SHIRT
Kurt and Lynn joined us along with another lady from Canada that has been coming here for 11 years with her husband.  We met at the Restaurant and walked the short distance to the Fish Market near the Merced Market, where they explained the different varieties of seafood they use...primarily Shrimp and Dorado..or Mahi Mahi.



  We continued on to Merced and a lady who specializes in Organic Fruits and Vegetables. She has the largest and best selection in the Market.  They purchased their Organic Vegetables and then we took a taxi to their lovely home in Colonial Reforma on the same street as Mexita, one of my favorite restaurants.  





         Salina and Ardrol her husband, had a folder for us with the recipes for what we were to prepare and eat.  They were laid out on our work counter along with cutting boards, a knife and apron for the four of us. 


Preparation started with us cutting up the vegetables for the different dishes while Salina explained the different Oils, and sauces they used for the restaurant and the dishes we would be eating today.  Their background in Culinary Arts with Ardrol attending school in Puerto Vallarta and Salina in Oaxaca.  She specializes in Chocolate and Pastries.
       They both worked in numerous restaurants in both cities and just 3 months ago opened their first one in Oaxaca at the Pachote Organic Market with other competing Restaurants and limited seating.
         We completed the preparation of the vegetables and then the Shrimp.  Ardrol and Salina portioned the lime juice, aguachile  and added coriander  to mix with the marinating shrimp for the Aguachile de Camaron, then blended it in the food processor and mixed it in with red onion, cucumber, and mixed it with the Shrimp for our first course.   This was followed by a Fish/Shrimp Ceviche with chopped tomato, onions, cucumbers and cilantro which was also delicious. Unfortunately I was to busy easy our creations to take a photo of them.
      Ardrol brought out the large fillet of Mahi. He then butterflied portions for our Tacos as well as our Saute Fish Fillets.

Kurt took the batter that Salina prepared for us with half corn flour and half regular flour, an egg and a bottle of beer, and proceeded to dip the fish portions in the batter then the hot oil to end up with a crisp, thin battered fish cooked to perfection.  They Lynn did the same with the butterflied shrimp.  
      The next course was warm flour tortillas made in Oaxaca then filled with shrimp, fish, salsa, lettuce, and topped with Serrano Chili Sauce or Chipolte Tamarind Sauce.  You could mix and match any way you wanted.  They were the best Tacos I have had in Oaxaca.


     Ardrol Sauteed our Organic Vegetables then our Mahi Fresh Fish Fillets for the final main dish...which some took home leftovers. 




WHAT HAPPENS WHEN TWO PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKE A PHOTO FROM  DIFFERENT ANGLES AT THE SAME TIME.
We were pleasingly full and satisfied with a wonderful afternoon with two fantastically talented Chefs that taught us a lot in an enjoyably three hour time span.  Kudos.

           I am off to Belanc Bakery to have lunch with my favorite friend Hector, and to replenish my supply of their wonderful roasted Organic Coffee Beans. 
          We enjoyed catching up of Hector's dogs and my past guest adventures while having a new salad on the menu that I didn't care for but ate it all.  Got a kilo of their coffee that was roasted that day upstairs over the restaurant.

         Today the temperature is set to hit 91%.  That is a high for this year so far.  I love it.  Last week I was watching TV when the building started to sway for about 5 seconds.  It was a 6.5 Earthquake on the coast of Chiapas, just South of Oaxaca.  Maybe 150-200 miles away.  It is amazing the power of Mother Nature and the though of actually being there is terrifying. 6.6 Earthquake in Chiapas.
       I bought some gifts to take home for my family while wandering around town.




       Dominoes today...can last week's Champion pull off another victory?
YES!!!  I won!  I stopped at a new Health Food Store I had discovered on Monday and bought some yogurt, spinach , eggs, organic Bacon, and Ginger Shrub.



       Friday was wasted on the computer before I got out of the house to buy some gifts for the family on return.  Halina was coming down the street with her "Polish Gang".  They were returned tomorrow and were headed home for Happy Hour on the Roof where Halina and Barb live.   



View from my Happy Hour Seat
We bid goodbyes and then I stopped at Distilero for Happy Hour then hit a parade on the way home.  Never a dull moment. 









A wind came up and cooled the city down about 10%...refreshing.  My meds for the sore throat were gone as was my sore throat.  I can breath again and not worry about throat cancer. Whew.


     The mobile organic market just left my complex this morning.  I bought a few things but not much.  Trying to use up my freezer full of homemade soups and Salmon.   
     Tonight I will enjoy a real Hamburg at Lynn and Kurt's apartment on the roof.  The afternoon was relaxing and reading, then I took a taxi to Lynn and Kurt's.






 We enjoyed some wine, cheese, avocado, jicama, and crackers while taking in a fantastic view of Oaxaca from their roof.  Then had a wonderful BBQ Burger with Bacon and Cheese with lots of accompaniments before capturing a roof top photo at night and returning home.

      Sunday morning I enjoyed CBS's Sunday Morning with Jane Pauley while having my Organic Bacon with Organic Eggs and Rye Toast.  Coffee and the best Orange in the world. I stayed in the whole day of rest.   

Not much Fat on this Bacon



 Well...this is getting rather long so with cut it off and send it out.  Michelle is arriving this Valentine's Day week from Chicago and invited me out to our place in Teotitlan de Valle on Sunday for a big pot luck party with all her friends BUT I had already booked a Dim Sum Fundraiser Dinner at the same time...oh well.  I will see her before she leaves and will be spending some time out their now the weather has warmed up.

No comments: