Monday, January 28, 2013

Museum of Anthropology






      Sunday morning, I planned on being at the Museum of Anthropology when they opening at 10 a.m.  I woke at 10:30 a.m. took the subway and arrived just before noon.  Three hours later I was exhausted and not finished seeing all the exhibits. The museum was world class and packed with family's with a million children.  Every woman I saw was pregnant with 5 kids being herded by Dad.  The exhibits were divided by civilizations and sections of the country.  People coming from Veracruz would get a special program for that exhibit so it was like a history lesson with a little patriotism thrown in.   I must say all the children were very interested and many people were copying down the exhibit note in a book to refer to later.  Not to mention all the cell phone cameras.  I left very well informed and impressed.










                I had been on my feet and walking with nothing to drink or eat since 11 a.m.  I rushed through the last exhibits, walked to the subway stop while stopping for some water!  I drank a liter of water before getting on the metro and had to make a transfer, instead of going to to the Sunday Market, I got off at the Palace Belles Arte.  My concert was at 5 p.m. so cancelled the Market and found a Sanborn's across the street.
            Sanborn's are department stores, candy, jewelry  watches, restaurants , everything in Mexico.  The majority share holder is none other than Carlos Slim.  The richest man in Mexico and one of the richest in the world.  He makes two million dollars a minute.  Most from the exclusive ownership of Telephonica Mexico, and a dozen other Central and South American companies.  He wears a cowboy hat and is known to be a humble person having grown up in an upper middle class family.
       A Tuna salad plate and water cost me around $12 and the service was very friendly and prompt enough to get me across the street in time to get in line.  It turns out this is General Admission Concert in a small 400 seat auditorium NOT the grand Theater I had hoped to see.  I walked out during intermission as I was falling asleep.
      An ice cream  and a few photos later I was home after picking up some pastries for a early evening snack.  I have to rise at 7:30 for another tour trip to Taxco and Cuernavaca.  It will be a long day but I'm looking forward to it.  I haven't run out of things to do.  It is more like the opposite.  I did cancel my trip to San Miguel Allende but Sergio said he has the room booked for me so if I want to change my mind I can.  I told him my plans were more in the South and I wouldn't be returning until the end of the month.  If he could book me Feb 21-24 I would bus out to see him.  We will see what he says.  Manana.

No comments: